PDA

View Full Version : Some LCD Qestions :D

NiceCarpet
19-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey,
I'm thinging about getting an LCD, this nuclear reactor on my desktop is taking up alot of space and is killing my eyes ><, so heres some qestions I have:
1)Does it matter what refresh rate is on an LCD, like my 17" CRT is on 85Hz @ 1024x768, now If I get an LCD would it hurt my eyes if I run it at somting like 60Hz @ 1280x1024?.

2)Do they burn out easy or fade because I would be keeping it on 24/7 with it in Full power mode, not sleeping.

3)What would you say is a min rresponse that I should get, I play older games like CS, WarCraft 3, StarCraft.... and so on *ATI 340M -__-' *

4)Whats the best thing to clean and LCD screen :S?

Thank You!
-NiceCarpet

KiwiTT_NZ
19-04-2005, 02:41 PM
1) No. I run mine at 60hz
2) Don't think so. However, you may get some pixel failure.
3) 12ms or less
4) I use DSE Anti-Static Wet Wipes

You may also want to consider the colors produced. If is says 16.2 million it is interpolated using 262,000 colors. If it says 16.7 million it is 8-bit color.

godfather
19-04-2005, 04:28 PM
1) Refresh is a redundant term on LCD, they do not need to "refresh" as a CRT does so the lower rate is just fine. There is no "flicker" with LCD to worry about.

2) Pixel failure is not really a concern with use, but the backlight has a finite life. Check the specs of anything you buy, but 60,000 hours is not uncommon I think, and that is about 7 years. It is actually longer than a CRT will reliably operate for I believe.

4) The 3M solution I use is basically just Vinegar and Water. The main thing is that the liquid must never "run down the screen", or it will get into the electronics in the base of the screen. Slightly damp cloth, not wet cloth.

NiceCarpet
19-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Thank's For The Info :D

ninja
19-04-2005, 07:50 PM
1)Does it matter what refresh rate is on an LCD, like my 17" CRT is on 85Hz @ 1024x768, now If I get an LCD would it hurt my eyes if I run it at somting like 60Hz @ 1280x1024?.Nein. Refresh rate is inconsequential as said.

2)Do they burn out easy or fade because I would be keeping it on 24/7 with it in Full power mode, not sleeping.I've got one wall mounted that displays an NMS tool, so a mostly static display 24/7. It's been running like that for just over 6 months and hasn't got the slightest hint of artifact.

4)Whats the best thing to clean and LCD screen :S?I found with mine at work it's easier to hit people that try to touch it, like swat them with a ruler or something. A sticker at the top that says "This is not a braille monitor so don't touch the FCKGWing glass" also helps.

Failing that, bog standard glass cleaner applied to the cloth, not the screen.

smokenz
20-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I know LCD's don't get affected by refresh rate, but I have noticed things with some monitors.

Such as some philips and hp monitors compatibility with some PC's If you have it set at 60hz ( and Philips and HP rate their 17 and 19" LCD screens at 60hz native) depending on your video card the display on the LCD will actually look slightly fuzzy. Then if you check refresh rate, you can set it to 70hz or 72hz opposed to 60hz. 70 usually looks crap, and 72 clears everything out completely and picture looks really good.

Just a general observation I've noticed when setting up new LCD screens to PC's. Havn't read the technical reasons as to why this happens, but appears to be on cheaper VGA displays, opposed to VGA and DVI displays.

smokenz