PDA

View Full Version : Help with Router

Mantis
19-04-2005, 03:22 AM
I have recently upgraded from my dialup connection to Bliink adsl from Ihug...

I chose the D-Link dsl-504g router as I want to connect a couple of computers from around the house. Aafter a few initial startup problems everything is running fine so far...

Now I know that this router is an 'always on' connection but I would like for peace of mind to disconnect the router when not in use. The ihug service desk suggested turning the power to the router off. But I was hoping there was a way that I could connect/disconnect via my desktop, like I did with my dialup connection.

Is this possible or are there any other ways to turnthe router on/off when needed?

Also is there anyway apart fromchecking my accoutn page at ihug to monitor my bandwith usuage?

Thanks for any help.

Mantis.

pctek
19-04-2005, 09:00 AM
This option is available with some routers and not others. Check the manual for yours and see if it has it or not.

smokenz
19-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Yes. Just disconnect your ADSL connection to Ihug from your router.

When you first set up your router you will have put in your username and password to connect to Ihug. username@jetstream.co.nz?? or something like that.

In that same area on your router you should have a connect option when disconnected, and disconnect when connected ?? Else if that doesn't work just change your username to something random and it will try to connect but be unsuccessful, haha.

smokenz

drcspy
19-04-2005, 12:22 PM
you could install zonealarm as your firewall it has a function to cut off net access ...............you just right clik it then clik 'stop all internet activity' and voila you are offline ..........

tweak'e
19-04-2005, 12:31 PM
you could install zonealarm as your firewall it has a function to cut off net access ...............you just right clik it then clik 'stop all internet activity' and voila you are offline ..........
the PC may be offline but the modem still will be online and it will still recieve any traffic sent to it (using up your data quota). personally i like UPS's, turn it off and everything including the modem has its power turned off.

if the modem dosn't have a dailup style optoin the power switch is the next best thing. (pulling the phone lead out works but you tend to break leads a lot).