PDA

View Full Version : DC++

Marcsimusm
18-04-2005, 09:01 PM
I have a Dlink DSL 302g and I am on the Slingshot 256k unlimited plan.

I realise that I need to port forward the modem to use p2p software like DC++ and Azureus(Bitorrent). I am pretty sure that I have forwarded the ports correctly but I am still getting connection timeouts on my DC++ and it isn't downloading anything. I have disabled the XP firewall but to no avail. Does anyone have any advice as to what it is I might be doing wrong with my setup?

Prescott
18-04-2005, 09:05 PM
have you had a glance at the readme files? it should mention something in there. or check out the p2p sites

Marcsimusm
18-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks for such a quick response. Unfortunately that's the problem. I have had a look at the readme files and other forum posts about port forwarding and I think I have done everything that I need to however it still isn't working. I thought I would try this to see if there is anyone else out there who has had a similar problem or know's how this whole thing works.

sal
18-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I posted a couple of months ago about port forwarding and everything here, and thought I had done so successfully (I have the same modem) but apparently I haven't. I've also read here (somewhere?) that once you set your modem up with it's firmware and all, because it is modified firmware, it's portforwarding functionality has been 'locked'. I'm not sure if that's true, but I've followed every instruction set I could find on portforwarding a dlink 302g and haven't got it done properly yet.

Post back if you have any luck.

Chilling_Silence
19-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Read through my old posts about that modem.

Basically you need a static IP address to be able to setup Port-Forwards, so it may be a good idea to invest $70 in a 4-port router from qmb.co.nz

And welcome to PressF1 Marcsimusm :)

CHill.

ninja
19-04-2005, 10:15 AM
http://www.portforward.com/

Agent_24
19-04-2005, 04:28 PM
in the DC++ settings, you need to put in ur IP address for active mode or else nothing will work.

(Or get a no-ip account and use that, which is wot i do)

Marcsimusm
20-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Hmmm. Thanks for the tips guys. I am pretty sure I have forwarded my ports correctly and I have set up a no-ip account. Is it possible that Slingshot is throttling my traffic? Does anyone know if Slingshot throttles p2p traffic? At peak times I often can not download anything on DC++ or bittorrent.

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Nope, its just the router sorry.

Had same problem with a friend. New router that allows port-forwarding meant we could forward port 6889 for Bittorrent and it worked immediately at the 2mbps connection!

Marcsimusm
20-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Bummer eh? Any recommendations on what I should be looking for in a router to avoid getting another dud?

Dragonslayer
21-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I have a Dlink DSL 302g and I am on the Slingshot 256k unlimited plan.

I realise that I need to port forward the modem to use p2p software like DC++ and Azureus(Bitorrent). I am pretty sure that I have forwarded the ports correctly but I am still getting connection timeouts on my DC++ and it isn't downloading anything. I have disabled the XP firewall but to no avail. Does anyone have any advice as to what it is I might be doing wrong with my setup?

Try a different ISP, I was with slingshot, and also Orcon. With the Slingshot connection, got about 0.5Kb/s download speed, tried the orcon connection, got 33Kb/s with it. I believe Slingshot block a lot of ports, making P2P very difficult.
Good luck sorting it out, and if you do, let me know what ports you used, because I tried hundreds of differnet ports, to no avail.

gum digger
21-04-2005, 12:42 PM
google STL Port Forward

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2005, 02:42 PM
No, that wont help - The REASON that ISP's are using those sorta modems is because they need a static IP to have port-forwarding enabled.
You'll be lucky to get a Static IP in NZ with ADSL as a home-user

This is good for them as it limits the likes of Bittorrent, Dc++, WinMX etc
Its a bl00dy good idea on their behalf too, from their perspective of course.

From the perspective of the average Joe at home, its a bit of a pain

Something like a simple Puretek 4-port router from qmb.co.nz wont set you back more than a hundred bucks, or the one-port USB, one port RJ45 (There is no networking between the two connections though) is about $20 cheaper IIRC.

Both will do what you want with Port-Forwarding though!

Either that or you can go Internal, but I wouldnt recommend it unless its going to be in a Linux/BSD server box setup as a server.

Chill.