PDA

View Full Version : Firefox less secure than IE ???

TonyF
18-04-2005, 01:18 PM
I bet that got your attention. Read about it at

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160900911

tweak'e
18-04-2005, 01:31 PM
For example, there now are enough unskilled and semi-skilled users of Linux that the operating system presents targets of opportunity for the unscrupulous.

same applies of apple of course;) you need to remember that its far easier to fool the user than it is to hack a pc.
once there is enough non-skilled users and disgruntled programmers malware will be forthcoming reguardless of OS.
at the moment i doubt there is many spare apple programmers that would write anything nasty dispite most home users being non-skilled, as for linux there is plenty of hackers but most users are usually skilled. that situation may change soon.

Cicero
18-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I bet that got your attention. Read about it at

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160900911
Will be interesting to see who goes into denial mode.

splatman41
18-04-2005, 01:36 PM
I reckon the guy who wrote this must be in the employ of Micro$oft. Firefox has had very few security flaws, while IE users wander around the internet with a GIANT target painted on their back. Firefox is also better to use than IE, with its tabbed browsing, open source code, and free extensions.

Firefox is much Better than IE, Micro$oft's pitiful answer for a browser. IE only has the 95% market share because it is preinstalled on Windows, the worlds most prolific OS. Just like George Mallory's explanation for taking on Everest in 1924 (or some year close to that): because it is there. Why do 95% of all net users use IE? Because it is there.

KiwiTT_NZ
18-04-2005, 02:24 PM
A fundamental flaw is "Admin Rights" required to run some software, or people given admin rights by default; i.e. effective "root" access in unix.

Firefox is arguably more secure than IE, but I would rather run IE is non-admin mode than Firefox in Admin mode. And luckily you can run both programs as standard-user.

I note that some games require admin rights. If this is the case, run your games as admin, but do not browse as admin. If you must browse as admin, i.e. installing siftware updates, limit it to OS update sites only. And off course always use a firewall, etc, etc.

tweak'e
18-04-2005, 03:38 PM
looks like denail mode has started already....lol

afaik firefox has had more security flaws than IE lately. however as far as flaws goes it no better or worse than any other browser.

IE will always be worse sicurity wise, not because of any flaws but because of its download first, ask second approch to 3rd party addons and the power activeX gives those addons. natually most poeple blindly click YES reguardless off what it is.

you don't need to exploit the software, just fool the user ;)

pctek
18-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Less secure is debatable. I think FF is getting targetted now as it becomes more popular.
Thats why its always best to run some little obscure browser that the herd isn't using.
And have other protection in place as well.

Chilling_Silence
18-04-2005, 04:48 PM
There have been a few recent security vulnerabilities.

The benefits still far out-weigh the cons.

Metla
18-04-2005, 05:29 PM
That article was terrible,it started to pose a question then feel on its backside and burnt in flames.

plod
18-04-2005, 07:42 PM
as speedy gonzales said in a previous thread if you dont use IE dont bother using microsoft. well thats like saying if you cant make do with windows security features dont use windows..
FF for me always.then again ie on the mac is crap