PDA

View Full Version : XP Home network problems

JasonEdward
18-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Please help I can't seem to get a simple XP home network up and running properly. Here's what happens:

I'm using two Windows XP Home PCs accessing the net via a DSL-504G modem/router and ihug bliink. No problems with this - plug and play.

I set up a network for file/folder/internet sharing using the XP
wizard and the internet is accessible using both PCs but PCs can see but can't access theother PCs shared folders.

I then set up using the IP etc addresses from this forum:

PC1 192.168.0.1 subnt 255.255.255.0 with internet connection sharing/folder and printer sharing both selected

PC2 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway + preferredd DNS server both: 192.168.0.1

With this setup the PCs can see eahch others folders but can't acees the internet.

I suspect Zone Alarm may be an issue here - if so, what firewall settings should I use?

THanks for your time.

JE

plod
18-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I dont know xp, but if you are behind a router i would ditch zonealarm as the router is a firewall.I still would use the xp firewall, are you running sp2?

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Umm if u have Zonealarm, and it isnt registered, it (the free version) doesnt give u the ICS option (So, connected PC's can get on the net).

Not too sure if this matters, if u have the router, BUT it might.

Altho you've put the ips in correctly, are you sure the router doesnt use a different ip address by default??

tweak'e
18-04-2005, 11:08 AM
I dont know xp, but if you are behind a router i would ditch zonealarm as the router is a firewall.I still would use the xp firewall, are you running sp2?
o thats just pathitic advice. router and XP firewall only block incoming, they won't stop anything from going out which is proberly more important for home users. telling someone to get rid of their sicurity is just plain nasty :mad: :badpc:

i suspect the modem uses a different IP addy than 192.168.0.xxx. either change what addy the modem uses or change the network addresses to suit the modem.

edit: add to speedy....does the modem have a built in switch/hub? or is the modem an internal? (sorry han't googled the model yet). are you useing ICS ?

plod
18-04-2005, 11:24 AM
As i said i dont know xp, i believed the firewall on sp2 did both ways, i wasn"t being nasty...If iwas being nasty i would have told him to sell the xp machine and buy a mac.It does say router which from my knowledge would have to be external.

plod
18-04-2005, 11:44 AM
As far as security on xp is concerned
1)Hardware firewall(router)
2)antivirus software
3)xp sp2 firewall
4)firefox or some alternative to IE
5)spyware tools, ms one, spybot search and destroy and Adware Se. run all three as not one will do it all
6) if all else fails OS X

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Well what kind of browser u use has nothing to do with it.

If u dont like IE, dont use Windows!! End of story.

IE isnt the only way of getting trojans and malware things like that.

If that's what you're talking about.

If you use P2P programs, you'll be more prone to trojans/worms etc anyway, than anyone else.

And people who DON'T read info on a site or before they install software, have only themselves to blame, if their system gets taken over by spyware.

pctek
18-04-2005, 11:52 AM
As far as security on xp is concerned
2)antivirus software
3)xp sp2 firewall
4)firefox or some alternative to IE
5)spyware tools, ms one, spybot search and destroy and Adware Se. run all three as not one will do it all
6) if all else fails OS X
1)H/W firewall(router)
2)Antivirus
3)REAL firewall not Windoze
4)Non-MS Browser
5)Spyware checkers

tweak'e
18-04-2005, 11:54 AM
3)4)firefox or some alternative to IE
will not stop malware infections, but it does cut down the risk.

3)xp sp2 firewall
will not stop the infections from accessing the net and sending back you passwords or downloading more infections or stop your pc from being remotly controlled or stop any of the sneaky bandwidth sucking applications from stealing bandwidth causeing you to pay excess traffic charges.

same as problems as XP firewall.

plod
18-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Well what kind of browser u use has nothing to do with it.

If u dont like IE, dont use Windows!! End of story.

IE isnt the only way of getting trojans and malware things like that.

If that's what you're talking about.

If you use P2P programs, you'll be more prone to trojans/worms etc anyway, than anyone else.

And people who DON'T read info on a site or before they install software, have only themselves to blame, if their system gets taken over by spyware.the reason ie is so dangerous is because it is so powerful,firefox is dumb browser which makes it alot safer.
yes you are right ie is not the only way but the most common way.
Most home computer users are not tech savvy like you and just want to use there machine without the hassles so it was a list for safe and secure home computing

braindead
18-04-2005, 12:02 PM
You might find this useful.

Link (http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm)

plod
18-04-2005, 12:03 PM
sorry pctech that my list wasn't up to scratch but you got to say not bad for a non windows user

smokenz
18-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi Jason

I just wrote heaps of stuff, but then deleted it cos I realised your router is external with a 4 port switch. So why not just connect both PC's to that, turn on DHCP and then they will both see each other? Even set the workgroup to the same on each PC?

Else try this:

Just wondering. PC is 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

PC is 192.168.0.2, same subnet mask, and default gateway is PC1(192.168.0.1).

For the modem, as speedy said, is it on the same ip range and subnet mask. IS it offering DHCP as well?

What's the default gateway set up as for PC1? Is the default gateway the IP address of the modem?

You would be better to name your modem 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and turn off DHCP.

Then PC1 192.168.0.10 - default gateway 192.168.0.1
PC2 192.168.0.11 - default gateway 192.168.0.10

On PC1 setup internet sharing so that it goes through the router's ip address. You will also probably have to set up the DNS manually for PC1 to point to bliinks dns servers.

Sorry if this information is completely wrong, but that's what I would do if I was setting up internet sharing. You might also want to point IE/netscape or Firefox on PC2 to us proxy on port 80 to PC1 (192.168.0.10).

But yeah I would just use the DHCP on the router for both pc's to have internet access.

smokenz

Rob99
18-04-2005, 04:08 PM
The DNS should be the DNS the ISP has given you.
Xtra:
202 . 27 . 184 . 3
202 . 27 . 184 . 5

Gateway should be the device that connects to the internet, eg the router/modem.

pheonix
18-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Why would you want ICS? Especially if you have both PC's plugged into the DSL-504G's switch.
All you have to do is change your DSL-504G to IP 192.168.0.20 , same subnet mask as the other computers.
Change the Gateway on both PC's to 192.168.0.20 and DNS as per post above.

Both computers should be then able to access the net , even if the other computer is off. Also, you will be able to transfer files between PC's as per a normal network.

For testing purposes, start XP's firewall, and stop Zonealarm from starting up. After all is working to your satisfaction, then do each ZoneAlarm firewall individually. This is because on the free ZoneAlarm, you have to manually put in the IP's or IP range.

I have the same setup with 3 computers using an Asus modem, and previously a DSE ethernet modem.

smokenz
19-04-2005, 10:03 AM
You shouldn't even need to do it manually. The router will offer DHCP, so setting the network card properties to obtain automatically will be the easiest option. PC's will see each other as they will be all same ip string, subnet and gateway.

The only reason I see to having one PC share the internet to everyone else is to set up something like WIN Gate proxy to log traffic and maybe traffic shape or something??

smokenz