Monitor: 15" Monitor
Casing: Hyper336 ATX casing
Keyboard: Generic PS/2 keyboard
Mouse: Generic PS/2 mouse
Floppy Drive: 1.44mb floppy disk drive
Speakers: Multimedia Speaker

Renmoo
17-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Welcome to PressF1, Guardian. First of all, are you aiming for super-duper computer or are you just a passive home user? If the purpose of having one computer is just to type some MS Word document and send some email, Intel Celeron should do the job. What is your budget? Are you going to build one or buy from a retail shop? However, the price of memory has drop tremendously over the years, so I would recommend that you get a minimum 256MB DDR RAM. If possible, do list out the I/O ports that are on board on the computer. Cheers :)

Jen
17-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi guardian, Welcome to PressF1 :)

Is this a 2nd hand PC or is it this one (http://www.pcx.com.ph/desktop/specs.asp?id=45)? It is a pretty basic computer with little memory (RAM) and no CD writer (reader only). Is that monitor a LCD or a CRT (CRT are the large traditional style monitors)? It has intergrated video which will limit your ability to play games. It is very much a bottom of the line, budget system.

I see you haven't listed an operating system, and with that little RAM you will find running a modern operating system such as XP very, very slow.

Unless that machine will be running Windows 98se in a small office environment being only used for using Office applications/emails then it will not suit a home owner unless of course that is all you only intended to do as well. What are you planning on using this computer for? Any games or photo/video work?

If that is the price range you are looking at, then I would recommend upgrading the RAM to 256 MB and adding a CD writer so that you can back up your data as a minimum. If restricted by budget, then I would buy a 2nd hand PC that is about 1-2 years old as you will be able to get a more functional machine for the same price. If you look around a local website in your country that offers 2nd hand computers for sale (privately) you shluld see what sort of machine your money can get. :)

guardian
17-04-2005, 08:40 AM
thanks James and Jen! :D

I didnt expect to get an answer. Jen, u gave the exact link. :blush: Actually, i want a pc where i can play games, watch movies, view web cam, and also be viewed. I dont know how to assemble my own unit though i think it is cheaper. but if it is better, then i guess i have to reconsider and ask your help on how to do it. what do i need to buy first? i want my OS to be XP.
my budget? i could start with $270 :2cents:

pctek
17-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Forget it then. It is NOT a gaming machine.
Take a look at:

www.ascent.co.nz for some decent gaming systems. What you are looking for is a min of 512mb ram, min! And something with at least FSB800 MB if not more. But your main concern should be the graphics card. Forget integrated, you want a real on. Minimum 6600GT.

If cash is a problem, they do offer finance. They will build it and ship it free. They have an excellent reputation too.

Trev
17-04-2005, 10:04 AM
If you want to play the latest games like Half LIfe 2, Doom 3 etc you are going to need something more substantial than that. You are going to need something like a Pentium 4 of at least 2.8ghz, 512mb of ram, a seperate video card like a GFX 6800 a seperate sound card and at least a 19" CRT monitor. You are probibly talking here cost wise about $2000.

Trevor:)

You beat me to it PCTEK :)

the highlander
17-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Any company in any country that offers a system like that for sale do not take their customers seriously.
128 meg ram shared with onboard video and running xp :horrified

tweak'e
17-04-2005, 02:11 PM
add to highlander....

Monitor: 15" Monitor
you can't even give away 15" monitors these days.......

Renmoo
17-04-2005, 04:13 PM
add to tweak'e....

1.44mb floppy disk drive

Guess you don't need a FDD either.... Cheers :)

Ninjabear
17-04-2005, 07:00 PM
How did Jen manage to find the exact specification of what he wrote?Did he put a quote on the google search engine which came up as a match ?

Cos..Im doing an assignment and I've deleted the link and I need the link back for the bibliography part.lol.

This is a bit out of the topic but umm if anybody cud help me that would be great!!Thnks :thumbs:

Greg
17-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I've deleted the link and I need the link back for the bibliography part.lol.

This is a bit out of the topic but umm if anybody cud help me that would be great!!Thnks :thumbs:
Huh? :confused: The link (http://www.pcx.com.ph/desktop/specs.asp?id=45) is still there.

Forget it then. It is NOT a gaming machine.
Ditto. The Celeron and lack of RAM are the glaring weaknesses.

Myth
17-04-2005, 08:03 PM
http://www.pcx.com.ph/desktop/specs.asp?id=45

1 minute... and Google :cool:

Ninjabear
17-04-2005, 08:11 PM
No noheres the story.

Im doing a assignment on chinese history..I copied a quote on a website.Since my computer was stuffing up I formatted my harddrive and I've lost the website

I have to put referencing next to the quote I mmade.

CAn google search for quotes online and find a match of the website I lost?

Jen
17-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Actually, i want a pc where i can play games, watch movies, view web cam, and also be viewed. I dont know how to assemble my own unit though i think it is cheaper. but if it is better, then i guess i have to reconsider and ask your help on how to do it. what do i need to buy first? i want my OS to be XP.
my budget? i could start with $270 To be brutually honest, you will not be able to get a brand new machine for that price (presume that is $USD which equals ~$365 NZD) to do the tasks you want. That system you quoted above was 17,600 pesos (which is about $475 NZD) and that doesn't included an operating system.

I see from other sites in your country that those sorts are specifications are common and they are even described as multi-media machines (example (http://www.villman.com.ph/products/pc_systems_details.asp?name=p7006_1&brand=amd&platform=desktop)). That villman.com.ph website has a "build your own" program. I just went and costed up a middle of the road of PC (based on a AMD CPU) that would meet your requirements (as long as you don't play any of the latests games) and it came to 36,790 pesos which is twice your current budget. This included WinXP Home.

I think you need to revise your budget or look at getting a second hand PC about 1-2 years old but was of high specifications when it was assembled. By this I mean a minimum of 256MB of RAM (512 would be better), a 1.8 - 2.4 GHz processor with a separate graphic card. A CD writer would be good as well. :)

Jen
17-04-2005, 08:42 PM
How did Jen manage to find the exact specification of what he wrote?Did he put a quote on the google search engine which came up as a match ?Google. You need to learn how to use google to your best advantage. I just googled the most specific information in that post which was Intel® 845 GVFNL and the first hit was identical to the specifications posted.

To find your missing quote reference, you just need to enter in part of that quote (google a string of text which looks more unique than general text) and you should be able to find it. Google can take up to 10 words to search on, but leave out any common words such as "and, in, the, if" etc.

Google also has an advanced search (http://www.google.co.nz/advanced_search?hl=en) where you can specify language and types of files eg, pdf, doc etc.

You may find this guide helpful as well - Basics (http://www.google.co.nz/help/basics.html) :)