PDA

View Full Version : windows xp reinstallation

Term_X
16-04-2005, 11:01 PM
hi folks

im going to reinstall windows xp over the top of my current install, so i can leave all the data as is, want im wondering, what folders do i need to move files from?

i know everything in my documents needs to be moved to say a backup folder in c: so ill do that.

what about all my desktop.. save to the same backup folder?

which are the default folders in program files, so i know which ones to delete (the old program files) once ive reinstalled?

or would i best to install to the free space? rather than to the same windows directory? not doing a full refomat as dont have any blank dvds to back up data to.

cheers!

Term X

Rob99
16-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Save up and buy a couple of blank DVD's and do a complete format and reinstall.

Term_X
16-04-2005, 11:21 PM
cheers rob99, not the answer i was looking for specifically but essentially youre right, not keen on backing up 60 gigs of mp3s though even if i did have the blank dvds :-)

Rob99
16-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Install over the top, all your data should remain unchanged, weather or not you will still have rights to access it will be a different story. Dont let that worry you too much as there are methods to take back ownership. Go for it.

Or buy/borrow a HD to back up to and do a fresh install.

Term_X
17-04-2005, 11:29 AM
bump :o

Rob99
17-04-2005, 01:14 PM
You dont need to move any folder for your data to remain safe, when the installation askws for a user just set up a user that was no on the last setup.

tweak'e
17-04-2005, 01:16 PM
BTW.....why are you reinstalling?
what fault are you trying to fix?

Term_X
17-04-2005, 01:43 PM
well everythings fine, except that i do some video and i keep getting errors with the encoding (avi to mpeg) at anything from 5% to 98% which is really annoying, everything used to be fine, but i think its because ive added too many media players and therefore too many codecs and these video codecs are clashing, done everything from uninstall all the media players, system restores, made sure theres enough free HDD space for the temp working folders, i use tmpgenc, nerovision express, well any program that i use to do encoding but regardless of the program, always get errors. ive done defrags etc and still the same result. im thinking its a codec clash and i need to start again to refresh the codecs as theyre not getting uninstalled when i uninstall the media players or the encoding programs.

hope that helps!

Term X

tweak'e
17-04-2005, 01:54 PM
try unregistering the codecs and/or filters

http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/pro/