PDA

View Full Version : Dlink 302G password required to access net

sam m
16-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Due to inappropriate use of computer a friend is wanting to restrict usage via Dlink dsl-302g modem so password is required each time.
I have been in and out of the configuration but not getting very far. What I am wanting is the connection box to appear when access to the net is required. When not required, the admin will be able to disconnect easily and no further access available until password entered again.

any ideas with this modem.

cheers

Overdrive_5000
16-04-2005, 09:24 PM
But since this is adsl you don't see a connection box so im not sure if you will be able to do what you were hoping unless there is some 3rd party program out there

ninja
16-04-2005, 09:34 PM
He'll either have to find a 3rd party software solution, or remove the connection password from the router each time.

That or take away the ethernet cable or something. Perhaps even just password protect the PC so only he can sign into it.

The router doesn't support it out of the box.

Sounds like the problem should probably be handled by talking to the offender rather than trying half-assed restrictions.

FoxyMX
16-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I don't have this modem but I have set up a couple and as ninja says, you can only change or remove the password in the router's configuration settings.

Ninja's suggested solutions are as I was going to mention myself. The easiest would be to remove the ethernet cable.

sam m
16-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Starting to get the feeling that it aint going to happen easily. At the moment the network cable gets hidden away but hardly a reliable solution. I remember seeing another modem that actually had a 'dial-up' looking box whenever net was required and the password could be either saved or required each time.

Sounds like the problem should probably be handled by talking to the offender rather than trying half-assed restrictions.
Today 09:24 PM

17 year olds dont listen no matter how it is spelled out.

I think putting the password at sign in level was explored but other considerations made that awkward, but it might have to do.

cheers

AMD1
16-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Due to inappropriate use of computer a friend is wanting to restrict usage via Dlink dsl-302g modem so password is required each time.
I have been in and out of the configuration but not getting very far. What I am wanting is the connection box to appear when access to the net is required. When not required, the admin will be able to disconnect easily and no further access available until password entered again.

any ideas with this modem.

cheers

A connection box will not appear for the ADSL modem.
Several ways to restrict access:-
1. Lock the room where the computer is.
2. As you leave the room take the network cable or usb cable with you. The modem could be taken as well or take the power supply to the modem.
3. With WinXP or Win2000 create a profile for the person with a password which does not allow access to the Internet.
4. Sit alongside the person which uses the inappropriate stuff and hit them any time a link is clicked to a site which should not be allowed. It would be best to explain why the link should not be accesed

These are just a few ideas.

Think seriously about number 1. above.

Myth
16-04-2005, 10:00 PM
What about something like (I think it was called) Net Nanny.... allows access to certain sites

Other than that.... a kick in the as* never did me any wrong :D

sam m
16-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Other than that.... a kick in the as* never did me any wrong :D

I hear ya and maybe if the 17yr old had several of these when he was 7 then we wouldnt be resorting to these measures...... well that's my view anyway.

tweak'e
16-04-2005, 10:11 PM
use an internal adsl modem. a username & password is required like a dailup modem.

pctek
16-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Certain ADSL modems supports both "always on" and dial-up connections to ISP. "Always-on" eliminates the need to dial to ISP and is ideal for applications like IP telephony. Dial-up connection lets you save ISP charge, it allows you to disconnect from the Internet when you don't need to use it.

You need to check in your manual if yours can do this or get one that does. Dlinks website should list which ones do.

ninja
17-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Certain ADSL modems supports both "always on" and dial-up connections to ISP. "Always-on" eliminates the need to dial to ISP and is ideal for applications like IP telephony. Dial-up connection lets you save ISP charge, it allows you to disconnect from the Internet when you don't need to use it.What on earth are you talking about?

pctek
17-04-2005, 02:51 PM
What on earth are you talking about?
Can't you read, its perfectly clear. And it for the person who wants to restrict access anyway.

ninja
17-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Can't you read, its perfectly clear. And it for the person who wants to restrict access anyway.No it's not.

An always on connection has no bearing on IP telephony at all. And having a dialup style ADSL connection doesn't make any difference to the cost of the connection.

drcspy
17-04-2005, 03:28 PM
the alcatal (thompson) speedtouch 330 which is the model xtra were giving out before the d-link 302g used an actual dialup connection box just as you are wanting............if you like I'm happy to swap my alctel, which works very well for your d-link.........pm me.....i have the setup cd etc......

sam m
17-04-2005, 04:43 PM
the alcatal (thompson) speedtouch 330 which is the model xtra were giving out before the d-link 302g used an actual dialup connection box just as you are wanting............if you like I'm happy to swap my alctel, which works very well for your d-link.........pm me.....i have the setup cd etc......

It is for friend, I will let them know.

pctek
17-04-2005, 05:36 PM
No it's not.

An always on connection has no bearing on IP telephony at all. And having a dialup style ADSL connection doesn't make any difference to the cost of the connection.
"Due to inappropriate use of computer a friend is wanting to restrict usage via Dlink dsl-302g modem so password is required each time."
This is what the original question asks....
Some of the routers allow a "dialup type" arrangment where you need to enter your password each time to make the connection. Instead of the regular always on method most routers use. Right - so in effect you are using a dialup type login but to ADSL. Which seems to me what the guy is asking for.

drcspy
17-04-2005, 06:35 PM
oh yep that alcatel runs a USB connection to the modem only.......

ninja
17-04-2005, 08:53 PM
"Due to inappropriate use of computer a friend is wanting to restrict usage via Dlink dsl-302g modem so password is required each time."
This is what the original question asks....
Some of the routers allow a "dialup type" arrangment where you need to enter your password each time to make the connection. Instead of the regular always on method most routers use. Right - so in effect you are using a dialup type login but to ADSL. Which seems to me what the guy is asking for.
That's great. :thumbs:

I'm more interested in your (ill founded) coments regarding it supposedly affecting the cost.

pctek
17-04-2005, 09:25 PM
That's great. :thumbs:

I'm more interested in your (ill founded) coments regarding it supposedly affecting the cost.
Oh. Should have said. Not my comment actually. I pasted it.
Yeah cost - makes no diff. Its probably something to do with some overseas ISP thing.

tweak'e
17-04-2005, 10:05 PM
i thing cost wise dailup adsl setups do help with is helping avoiding beng charged with excess traffic.
afaik external always on modems can be sent lots of traffic even tho the pc is off, therefore you may go through lots of megabytes without ever useing the pc.