PDA

View Full Version : Any xpert on Sim City 4 Deluxe?

JJJJJ
16-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I have been trying to install this for the past four hours. I give up!
It installs ok and after passing 100% on the second disk I get a amessage "please wait". I wait and wait and wait but nothing happens. The computer stops working and task master says nothing's working.

If I try to start the game I get as far as the "EA" logo. Then in a few seconds I'm back at my desktop.

I've re-installed it three times.

All I can think of now is that I do not have sound installed or any speakers plugged in. But that shouldn't stop the game loading.

Help :help: :help:

pctek
16-04-2005, 04:35 PM
This is directly from EA website. Apparently other people have this issue quite a bit.

Question
Why does the installation crash or freeze?

Answer
When the installation crashes or freezes, it's typically because another application is conflicting with the installer or because the CD/DVD-ROM cannot accurately read the files required to complete the installation. Follow these instructions to do some basic system preparation, and if necessary some CD/DVD-ROM drive configuration:

If you are using Windows XP, make sure that you are trying to install the game from an account with administrator privileges.
If you are unsure on if you are using an administrator account, or how to use an administrator account, review this document on administrator accounts.

Make sure that you have disabled all background application to prevent any compatibility issues between the software on your computer and the installation software.
If you are unsure on how to disable your background applications, review this document on ending background tasks.

Install the game from your hard drive by copying the CD contents of the discs to your hard drive. (Make sure that you have 2.5gb of free space on your hard drive before attempting this.)

Right-click on your Desktop and select New, then click Folder and name it SimCity4.
Insert the SimCity 4 disk 1 into your CD/DVD-ROM drive.
Double-click on My Computer and right-click on your CD/DVD-ROM and click Open.
Hold down the Ctrl button and press the A button to highlight everything, and then press the C button while still holding Ctrl to copy everything.
Close the current window, and double-click on the SimCity4 folder on your desktop.
Right-click in center of the empty window and click Paste.
When the files finish copying, remove the SimCity 4 disk 1 from the CD/DVD-ROM.
In the SimCity4 folder, double-click on the file labeled Setup.exe that has a EA icon next to it.
NOTE: The installation will now start. Once the installation gets to 45% it will prompt you for disk 2. Do not close the installation window, just minimize it and proceed with the steps.
Double-click on the SimCity4 folder you created on your desktop.
Delete all of the files and folders except for the folders Autorun, Support, and DirectX.
To delete the files, hold down the Ctrl button and click with your mouse on all of the files that need to be deleted.
Once the files are highlighted, right-click on one of the highlighted files and choose Delete.
When prompted if you are sure, choose Yes.
Insert the SimCity 4 disk 2 into your CD/DVD-ROM drive.
Double-click on My Computer and right-click on your CD/DVD-ROM and click Open.
Hold down the Ctrl button and press the A button to highlight everything, and then press the C button while still holding Ctrl to copy everything.
Close the current window, and double-click on the SimCity4 folder on your desktop.
Select Edit from the window toolbar, and then select Paste.
When prompted This file already exists do you wish to overwrite? select Yes to all.
When the files finish copying, remove the SimCity 4 disk 2 from the CD/DVD-ROM.
Go back to the installation window and select Ok, and the installation will continue
After the installation finishes, you can delete the SimCity4 folder.

Adjust your CD/DVD-Rom drive settings to properly detect the game disks.
Click on the following link for step-by-step instructions on configuring your CD/DVD-ROM.

pctek
16-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Also.
MAke sure you have DirectX 9.0c.
Make sure your PC meets min specs for the game.
Update your graphics card driver.

What brand is your CD/DVD drive? Some of them have problems reading certain types of copy protection (which is what EA means and is not saying). Like Safedisc and Securom 2 and higher.

JJJJJ
16-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks PCtec. I have a combiled cd r-w and dvd. The cd is working perfectly and I have had no trouble with it. I have never used the dvd side of it. In fact I have never installed the dvd software.The drive is Samsung. I don't know the model.
I have another computer here and I will try and install SC 4 on it tomorrow. If it won't work on that I would say it's not a computer problem.

I do have DX 9 installed and it tests out correctly. All parts of my computer are well above their minimum.
Athlon 64 3200+. 1024 megs of ram. Plenty of hard disk space.
I also have MS Flight Sim 2005 installed and it runs perfectly.

I have also tried installing it with everything closed down except for essentials.

pctek
16-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks PCtec. I have a combiled cd r-w and dvd. The cd is working perfectly and I have had no trouble with it.
I have another computer here and I will try and install SC 4 on it tomorrow. If it won't work on that I would say it's not a computer problem.

It doesn't eliminate it. I had a case where this happened with Sims 2 - other stuff was fine in the DVDRW (an ASUS) but this had heaps of hassles. Another EA game too. Same sort of "fix" from EA. I looked up the model of the ASUS and found it was one of those that have probs with the particular copy protections.
Took her ASUS back and got her a Liteon instead. (THe Liteon passes) End of problem.
There is one other way around it. Using Daemon Tools to run it without needing the CD in the drive. However, it can still be a problem to even install the game with this problem.
So with your other PC - it could still not work if they are both of the same (problem reading) drives.
Read here:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/45121

The lsit is not up to date however but it explains it.

Barnabas
17-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I had the same problem but it was just Sim City 4 (not deluxe). I just turned off my antivirus protection and then it installed fine. Might be worth a crack

B.

pctek
17-04-2005, 11:42 AM
I had the same problem but it was just Sim City 4 (not deluxe). I just turned off my antivirus protection and then it installed fine. Might be worth a crack

B.
Thats in my 2nd post.

JJJJJ
17-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Believe it or not, I've got it working. I Installed my sound card drivers and away it went. Seems when it couldn't find a sound card it gave up installing.
At least I can turn the volume off. :o