PDA

View Full Version : New computer takes long time to get to POST screen

almunro
16-04-2005, 02:08 AM
ive just built another computer (whih ive done before no probs) and when i switch it on it takes about a minute to turn the screen on and get to the black screen where the bios indentifies the hdds etc.
it seems to work okay from there but as its a new 3.2 i wont it to work like it should from the start.

i have a
3.2E
Gigabyte GA-8VT800-L motherboard
seagate 120gig hd
kingston 400mhz ram 512mb
sony cd burner
9550 ati graphics card

would this problem be a motherboard one? bios one?

im halfway thru a format of the hdd right now but the first time i tried to install xp with sp2 it had trouble copying the files.... it would say "cannot copy ***** file..... please hit enter to retry or esc to ignore"

is this related?

any help would be greatly appreciated

ALex

im stumped.

Rob99
16-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Unplug everything that is not necesary, disk drives CD and hard, graphics card if it also has onboard, all PCI boards. Then do a reboot.

As for the install, give the disc a clean or burn another copy.

almunro
16-04-2005, 02:52 AM
ok the install errors are gone since i used a copy of xp without the sp2 slipstreamed withit... even tho it was a proper retail copy of xp with sp2.

ill try the unplug of all the components to see if it changes the boot time.

Alex.

beama
16-04-2005, 08:45 AM
test your Ram also. It can cause this type of problem, although in the past I've had no problems with kingston and I also believe this brand is IBM certified.

Myth
16-04-2005, 10:01 AM
im halfway thru a format of the hdd right now but the first time i tried to install xp with sp2 it had trouble copying the files.... it would say "cannot copy ***** file..... please hit enter to retry or esc to ignore"

is this related? No, all this means is you have a scratched or dirty disc, and it also has nothing to do with the fact SP2 was streamlined within it (if bought from the shop like that; or wherever you got it). Alot of O/S copies (backups, illegals on CD) will give this error

almunro
16-04-2005, 01:33 PM
okay ive unplugged all the components and it still takes ages to boot. so im assuming tis either the cpu or the motherboard..... and sseeing as it works fine when windows has actually loaded i think its the motherboard???

any other ideas???

Alex

almunro
16-04-2005, 01:36 PM
ive also tried some of my other ram modules from my computers that boot fine so its not that because its still slow.

Myth
16-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Its looking more and more like the motherboard. Been to the Giga-byte site (http://www.giga-byte.com/) to check for known issues or BIOS updates with that board?

almunro
16-04-2005, 10:14 PM
ive already done a bios update to no avail. ive got a new motherboard so ill try that and ket you guys know, thanks for the help.

Alex

Dak
16-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Check bios settings to see if there is an option to set a delay time for HDD recognition. Also, whatever channels you do not have a device attached to, primary slave etc or whatever, set them to disabled instead of auto like the bios defaults to.

almunro
22-04-2005, 01:57 AM
changed the mo board and all is fine. thanks for your suggestions.

AM