PDA

View Full Version : Different problem with downloading Windows Updates.

katharinem
15-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Have read previous thread about difficulties downloading latest updates. Have Wns XP SP2. I get through to the Update page, click on get 'Get Latest Updates', then sit and wait for AGES - over an hour and 1/2 so far - staring at "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software..." - nothing seems to be happening. Have unchecked the "block pop-up" box on Kerio and IE tools, but this doesn't seem to help. I also have only the slow 56kbps phone linkup. Any quicker way of doing this?? Have downloaded previous updates but think I had to wait for hours for those as well. Don't want to use Auto Updates as it makes shutting down the computer take FOREVER. Help please!! :dogeye:

katharinem
15-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Ummmm.....I don't really sit for all that time staring at the computer. Rather dash in and out between doing other stuff and trying to be patient. Look forward to any help.

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2005, 03:38 PM
You could either turn auto updates on under My computer/right mouse/automatic updates.

Or go here, and download the security updates relating to XP SP2.

Then install them

http://www.microsoft.com/security under windows security.

Or you could try going to c: / windows/downloaded program files. See if WUwebcontrol.class is here and delete it.

(You may have to show all files to do this (Open my computer / tools/folder options/view / show hidden files and folders, then OK).

Then try the windowsupdate site again....

Finn
15-04-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a WUWebControl Class in my downloaded program files (it appeared on 3/8/04) - it is the only program there. I don't know what its purpose is and was interested to see that Speedy Gonzales said to delete it. Can you tell us a bit more about this downloaded program please - what it is for and why it is advisable to delete it. I did not get any info that made sense to me from Google. Thanks.

johnboy
15-04-2005, 10:44 PM
You may find a fix on one of these pages
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/winup-errors.html
hth

Speedy Gonzales
16-04-2005, 08:52 AM
I have a WUWebControl Class in my downloaded program files (it appeared on 3/8/04) - it is the only program there. I don't know what its purpose is and was interested to see that Speedy Gonzales said to delete it. Can you tell us a bit more about this downloaded program please - what it is for and why it is advisable to delete it. I did not get any info that made sense to me from Google. Thanks.

Its a file when u go to the Windowsupdate site, it installs it to that folder.

Its the same place, if u do a virus scan online the site puts the file here, so it can scan your system after.

And it's similar to the wuwebcontrol.class file, u go back to the windowsupdate site, it'll detect this file, and scan what updates u need.

Deleting it wont harm anything, but going back to the site, (after u delete the file), it'll reinstall the same file in the same folder, so it can scan your system for updates that u need.

katharinem
18-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Have sorted it out. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:

FoxyMX
18-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Have sorted it out. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:
Would you mind posting the fix that solved your problem, please? Problems with Windows updates have occurred fairly regularly here so it would be a big help for people searching the forum and finding your thread to know what your solution was.