PDA

View Full Version : xp and office professional

brandysson
15-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Hello There. I have a new computer but find I can not run office xp on the new windows xp. It went well on my old system win me. No sweat. But I can not find it now,even thought it said it was installed.
On the start menu it is conspicuous by its absence. I did find it on programme files Double clicking it would not open it?
The download from cd disk did not ask the usual interrogation questions and it all went too smoothly to be right if you know what I mean
"If it sounds too good to be true etc", is at the back of my mind. It is still looming on my hard drive. I went to see if I could un-install it and yep it was there. Why does it not open? where is the icon or other thing on the main menu? I have a programme called 'Office power point viewer' and have no idea what it is for! Tried all sorts of maneuvers and navigation feats but still have not a clue as to what it is? Some thing tells me it has something to do with Office pro xp?
Kind regards

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2005, 04:10 PM
The powerpoint viewer can be downloaded from the Microsoft site.

Its only a small download. And u can only open powerpoint files with it.

Nothing else. You cant change/edit anything. This file isnt part of the Office XP install.

If Office XP is installed, it would have created icons for Excel,Word,Powerpoint, and Access in Start/All programs and also a menu called Microsoft Office something, with different utils for Office XP. Can't remember the name of this men u. I deleted it from the menu.

Overdrive_5000
15-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Have you tried going to start search and put in "microsoft office"

FoxyMX
15-04-2005, 04:14 PM
If it will allow you to uninstall it, then do so then try reinstalling it again.

brandysson
15-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks you
I have done all those things un-installed it and re-installed it Done the search thing too It I a mystery to me too. If it is there I must be able to open it? May be it did not finish ? This new fast computer + broadband sure speeds thing up but not that fast uh? I will keep endeavoring :badpc:
cheers

pctek
15-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Uninstall it again. Then manually remove all files off your hard drive relating to it.
Then edit the registry and remove all references to it there too. Then reinstall it.

brandysson
16-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Thank you I have done as you suggested - there was no trace of office pro left as far as I knew and the install went slowly as it should. It told me every thing had been successfully accomplished, But there was no name in the start programme menu nor any short cut on the desktop. I did it all over again but to no avail. I have since un-installed it again.
Would appreciate any other solutions you may have Or should I call in a tech chappy, with the greatest respect, from the commercial world ?
Thanks again for your trouble. regards.

FoxyMX
16-04-2005, 03:31 PM
You say it is a new computer and Office XP will not run or even install properly - something is terribly wrong there.

Have you tried installing other programs? If so, do they work OK?

If other programs display the same behaviour you need to take the computer back to where you got it and get them to sort it out under warranty.

brandysson
16-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Thank you for your time. Yes I have down loaded other programmes and they are ok Adware spy bot and a microsoft down load NET Framework configuration aframework wizard and they were ok. I did see some where on my travels that officexp 2002 which this is, is no longer has support, it is retired according to the makers, Could this be the trouble? It worked just fine on my old computer. Is it because it wont let my use it on my new computer? My spell checker in outlook express does not work either and Microsoft said it is not supposed to???
regards

godfather
16-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Are you logged in as an administrator in XP? I can only suggest that it is a case of "permissions" for a log-in with limited rights.

Office XP is not "retired", there is no good reason that it will not at least install.

Your spell checker will not work until Word is installed and available, as it uses the spell checker from that.

FoxyMX
16-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Thank you for your time. Yes I have down loaded other programmes and they are ok Adware spy bot and a microsoft down load NET Framework configuration aframework wizard and they were ok.
Hmmm... well that is a bit of a mystery then. What brand/make is your computer?

I did see some where on my travels that officexp 2002 which this is, is no longer has support, it is retired according to the makers, Could this be the trouble? It worked just fine on my old computer. Is it because it wont let my use it on my new computer? I have Office XP and as far as I know they are still issuing security patches for it although I haven't bothered with them (which is a bit naughty).

Even if it was "out of date" that would not prevent it being installed. I can still install and use my old Office 97.

If you had Office on your old computer you would have to uninstall it off that before installing on your new computer because otherwise it would not activate but since you haven't been able to even run it yet that would not be the problem.

My spell checker in outlook express does not work either and Microsoft said it is not supposed to???The spell checker in OE uses the spell checking engine in Office and because your Office is not working you cannot use the spell checker in OE. It should work once you have Office installed.

I really don't know what else you could try apart from a format and reinstall of Windows. If no one else has any suggestions then you may need to take it to a tech.

brandysson
17-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Thank goodness for Grandfathers. I have installed/un-installed it about five times, am I doing any harm to my new computer? Office xp professional does not want to work on this computer. The programme does all the right things except ask me for my number which after downloading it on my old computer said I should keep safe. Do you think it is the computer as some one suggested or is me not knowing where to find it. There is not a show of it anywhere. It takes it time to install about 20 minutes and tells me all is well it has been successful The mystery must be the fact it does not ask me for my security number? Do you think should try again?.
Regards

godfather
17-04-2005, 07:05 PM
What "security number?"

If you mean the CD Key, one would expect it to request this at the start.

If you mean "activation", that happens when you first run any of the applications.

Is there anything (Under Windows Explorer) in:
C:\program files\microsoft office\office10

This is where it should have installed to.

brandysson
18-04-2005, 10:56 AM
The saga continues! At last I have the answer straight from Microsoft The early Office Professionals xp does have a wee problem and there are things to do to fix it. A little too complicated for this old Chappy. When I brought this new 'beauty' I took it for granted it would have Word on it. Does the team think it would be good to have om my newie. It is $249.00 and I want to send newsletters to e-mail addresses. I can, if I copy and paste but the headers and footers don't come through, not that, that is a real problem but for my own satisfaction It would be nice lol
Many thanks for your time.
regards.
PS Just have seen your reply!Yes it was in the explorer files but could not do a thing with it Even the setup button would not function. Glad I did find the reason.

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2005, 11:16 AM
It would usually say when u buy it as a package (the system) what it comes with (as in software).

Not every system with XP, comes with Office, or Word. And Office or Word arent part of XP. It's separate.

If you want something cheaper, (well free) get Openoffice.

http://www.openoffice.org

Only thing is, its 64mb. BUT shouldnt be a prob, if ur on broadband.

brandysson
18-04-2005, 03:58 PM
My sincere thanks to everyone who helped. I now know that Word and office are separate identities and the good thing is I now know I was not duped when it came to packages offered. I will forget Office xp and start work on my other toys. i.e. printer and photo copying.Thank you so much I am so relived that everything has been sorted. (Well for me it has)
Best regards

mzhao
18-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Just to clarify for some users:

Word is part of Microsoft Office, but Word can be standalone (i.e. used by itself, without other Office components) and is also sold as a standalone app.