PDA

View Full Version : Warning about an email from Charteronebank.com

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Just got an email about verifying your account (bank account, I would say) from this place last night.

Which I'm not even with. In case you get this email, DO NOT click
ANYWHERE within the email itself.

You DON'T have to click on a link to get to this fake (I would say its fake) site. Just clicking on its logo / graphic (if u receive this email, and which I can say I have never seen this before), will open up a website.

I know something went funny (when I just clicked on its logo), it opened the site. Then when I ran trojan remover it wouldnt scan (came up with an error about ntdll.dll), which luckily, I managed to get another download of Trojan remover, reinstall it, and it went back to normal.

So I could scan within Trojan Remover again. I had to do a scan (lucky Nortons still scanned as well), just to make sure I hadn't been hit by something nasty, but all was clear. I didn't have to reformat.

BUT someone out there, may not be so lucky.....BE CAREFUL with what u get in your email!!!

Myth
15-04-2005, 09:19 AM
You opened the email :confused:

But anyway, thanks for the heads up :cool:

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2005, 09:23 AM
lol well no coz usually if u click on a logo/graphic it doesnt do anything (usually).

That's why I said I've never seen this kind of thing before.

BUT in this case, whether u click on the link, or anywhere else, in this email it goes to a website.

drcspy
15-04-2005, 09:52 AM
if you are using outlook or outlook express then its probable that you have it set to show the 'preview pane' ................goto view 'layout' and UNtick this.........that's why you got the logo displaying in the email cause just by cliking the email even to delete it you've already opened it.............preview pane is a dangerous PAIN.............DISABLE it....

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2005, 10:01 AM
if you are using outlook or outlook express then its probable that you have it set to show the 'preview pane' ................goto view 'layout' and UNtick this.........that's why you got the logo displaying in the email cause just by cliking the email even to delete it you've already opened it.............preview pane is a dangerous PAIN.............DISABLE it....

Yer I figured that out :lol:

Jen
15-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't let any graphics load in html emails which are located on an remote server. This is how many spammers can detect your email addy is valid because the image is requested off the remote server, and from this they can detect you opened up their email. Bingo! Valid address = more spam.

At least you were aware what just happened and went looking for trojans/viruses immediately afterwards.

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2005, 10:18 AM
True Jen. As soon as I found Trojan remover had screwed up somehow, I thought I'll redownload Trojan remover, just in case.

Once I had reinstalled trojan remover the scan worked, then I reset the hosts file, the windowsupdate entries (that was ok nothing changed), the homepage, and the LSP entries (which hadn't changed).

Since whatever it was (or may have been), may have stuffed up this ntdll file. Which if corrupted, can kill the system from booting by the looks of it.

And yup, after I noticed the message saying something about ntdll, (u could still run trojan remover, its when u went to scan, this ntdll error popped up).

And trojan remover showed all this gibberish, you couldnt understand anyway lol. (when u went to scan).

I rescanned with Xoftspy, trojan remover, nortons, to make sure I didn't pick anything nasty up. As I didnt want to turn the system off until I made sure nothing nasty was picked up.

Just in case it came to a halt midway thru booting, and I may have had to reformat, due to something becoming infected/corrupted.

I think I'm pretty safe for most spam using Spampal (I think 1/2 the world is blacklisted at the mo lol). So, only the odd 1 or 2 spams get thru.