PDA

View Full Version : windows 2000 pro "STOP 0x0000001E kmode exception not handled " - ntoskrnl.exe

frankstine
15-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Dear all,

I really need help on this problem which has lasted for couple of days. It happened as this: I tried to let me system (windows 2000 professional) to detect an enternal usb linked hard drive (Maxtor 160GB) enclosure (SYBA). After failed several times, my friend told me it is possible to use the HD attached CD (MaxBlast3.0) to detect it. I tried and not working again, so I decided to use the CD to reboot the PC see if that works... Wrong idea, the CD not only couldn't recognize the external HD, but also the primary HD (Samsung 30GB), and showed only the black Dos-like screen and stopped at a prompt with the Drive letter "X". The only way to leave is to manully press the power button. When the system restart, after the progress bar reached about 80% on the blue 'welcome to windows 2000 professional' screen, the blue stop error screen jump out with following message:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x8041FAA4, 0x00000000, 0x0000001D) kmode_exception_not_handled Address 8041FAA4 base at 80400000, DateStamp 384d9b17 - ntoskrnl.exe

I first tried the windows 2000 installation CD and used the repair process (automatic) to identify all none-original drivers/system files and repair them - not working. Then I made some searches on the web, getting to know that the first parameter in this code 0xC0000005 meaning the access violation, and the second representing where the error occured at 0x8041FAA4. I had windows 2000 SP4 and by inspecting the resources of each of the hardware drivers in device manager, I found that this memory location was in one of the "PCI BUS" resource regions. So I went on to update the driver, it actually rolled back from 2003 to an older one - 1999. I guess the newer one was in one of the Service Packs. Anyway, it was still not working. I tried to uninstall the driver, still no luck :@@: , and system instantly restarted. I was able to enter under Safe Mode but a repair kit (on floppy) I downloaded from work was not able to execute or copy because of a "cyclic redundent error" or something :badpc: . I also was able to access another OS (windows 2000 server) on the same HD (no partition) without any problem.

Does anyone know what problem this is. I checked the ntoskrnl.exe and it showed no modification recently so it is not on this file. I really need to use this OS since most of my data and application are on it. Can anyone help? Thanks!!! :help:

Myth
15-04-2005, 08:14 AM
I did a quick search on this and found these... hope they help...

STOP 0x0000001E... (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_oweb.asp)

Windows 2000 Stop message (http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/tech/RTGAM/20021003/gts2/Technology/techBN/)

frankstine
15-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks Mythix. Actually I had those information printed yesterday and tried some of the solutions last night but all failed. One solution suggested was to use poolmon.exe but I couldn't find it in the system. And there is no way I can copy or install any repair kit or software, or even a file on this PC now because that "cyclic redundent problem" (even after I successfully lauched Windows 2000 Server, it still not allow me to copy any files :badpc: ). I am wondering if there is any other way to do the diagnosis or repair? Thanks again for the effort though.

Murray P
15-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Check out USB Man, Win2k (http://www.usbman.com/Win2000.htm) guides and trouble shooting. Suspect ASPI, IRQ and PnP/HAL.

frankstine
16-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Thanks Murray. However I had most updated SP installed already (windows 2000 SP4), so USB driver shoudn't be a problem.

Now a new problem emerged: I tried to switch the IDE and power cable to new HD and do a new clean installation of win XP. However the "NTLDR is missing, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart" message showed up before I pop in the XP CD. Even if I let the CD in while rebooting, the setup process stopped because of a fatal error: "D(my CD drive):\i386\iasm(?) does not have correct function". How could this be possible after I completely avoid the old HD? Is this related to the problem of BIOS? Should I reflash it? Thanks!

Murray P
18-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Is the old drive still connected, have you set the drive jumpers correctly?