PDA

View Full Version : DVD not playing after copyright CD played

seans
14-04-2005, 10:32 AM
So my DVD drive was working fine until I played some CD's in it and one of them was a copyright protected CD from EMI.Now it doesn't play zone 4 DVD's yet the zone recognised is set as 4(message comes up as unrecognised zone and in "my computer" the drive "E:" isn't followed by anything).I've got power DVD 5 on Win98 and have uninstalled and re-installed power DVD twice without anything new happening so my thoughts are the copyright protected CD has done something down deep,maybe registry or somesuch. The DVD drive is a LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T.I'm kind thinking of taking out the DVD drive itself and re-installing that but as its plug-n-play I can't see that that will make any difference and think its something lower down where I don't normally go.Incidentally the DVD drive still plays CD's,I reloaded power DVD 5 from it.

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Greetings seans,

What happens if you try VideoLAN Client (VLC) from videolan.org?

autechre
14-04-2005, 12:15 PM
The CD has probably installed a driver or some software to play the protected files.

You may need to check under Add/Remove Programs to see if anything was recently installed.

Graham L
14-04-2005, 12:37 PM
And take that "CD" back to the shop if it has the "CD" logo on it. It's not a CD. ;) Philips have spoken sternly to EMI and others who have sold these "copyright protected" disks which do not comply with the standard. A standard audio CD does not install software. The CD logo is copyrighted, and they are in trouble if they put it on a disk which isn't a CD.

That'll teach you to turn off the autostart option on your drive. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
14-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Hmm u dont have to turn off autorun on a cd to play a cd, even if it one of these "so called" protected audio cd's.

Pressing a key on the kb, before u put the cd in the cdrom will stop the cd installing its own program to play whats on the cd :D

Then u can do what u want with it.

seans
14-04-2005, 05:29 PM
I've had one attempt tp download the VLC mediaplayer but it didn't work so maybe I'll try later but I stopped into a internet cafe and PC repairs place and the young chap there said maybe the laser has gone and it needs to be returned.He said it happened to him and though they can still read CD's the DVD portion or speed of the laser doesn't work anymore.It may just be coincidence that the Copy protect disc was the only abnormal disc in there recently...though I remember the screen flashing as it was loading.I've looked in Add/remove programs and nothing looks out of the ordinary and also trolled through find at recent .exe files and nothing really comes up except a bunch of files from a recent Norton anti virus update.Any more clues about what I can do?

pctek
14-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Try a different DVD. And try writing to a blank DVD. That will tell you if its your drive or not.

Graham L
14-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Coincidences do happen. ;)

Thinking about it, the copy protected CD wouldn't actually need to install anything ... all it has to do is load a programme into memory which plays the music.

Agent_24
14-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Some 'copy controlled' audio CD's just load up a driver DLL or such when you insert them, to stop you from ripping them to the harddrive - when you restart everything should be fine

my DVD drive has twice gone crazy and refused to play dvd's and both times a restart cured it.

I don't think the drive is broken, but it could be a possibility.

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2005, 06:38 PM
God bless my Gentoo Linux box.....

Sam I Am
14-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Amen to that