PDA

View Full Version : QMB Computers - information please

Krad
13-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Can anyone give me advice on QMB Computers (Royal Oak and Mt Roskill) as their prices seem very reasonable and they can make me a new Pentium 4 3.0E 3.0Ghz Hyper-Threading Prescott 1M L2 cache/Gell 512Mb x 2 PC3200 400Mhz DDR/Seagate 160GB 7200RPM IDE HDD WITH 8MB BUFFER/Samsung 16x DVD Writer/Pragmatic 56k/v PCI Internal Fax Modem/Windows Xp Home Version/Creative Sound BlasterLive Digital 5.1/EXCEL CX-3158 Midi Tower Case/Panasonic 1.44MB3.5" Floppy Drive for a Total Price of $1265.
If I don't want to stay with my 17" CRT monitor they can add a 17" LCD Monitor for $355. Is this a good deal?

Chilling_Silence
13-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Ive been a long-time user.

They're mostly asian/indian but speak pretty good english.

Pricing is great. Service can be a little slow (Expect to wait for 5 minutes in the shop if you stand there looking like you dont know what you're doing), so try walking up to somebody and saying "Hi, I'd like to buy a PC System from you, Ive got your package system XYZ in mind" and take it from there.

Im a long-term happy customer.

Chill.

quarry
13-04-2005, 04:02 PM
one thing you must be very careful - someone i know bought stuff off them - they hand wrote the receipt & basically no one could read it. when it came to a warranty problem, they said the numbers didn't match - even though it was their own invoice - they refused the warranty. we had to take them to court to get it sorted. get them to print the invoice clearly, if they haven't upgraded to doing it on the computer - make sure all the serals match.

Chilling_Silence
13-04-2005, 04:44 PM
When was this? The entire time Ive been using them (Approx 3 years I believe), they've done two copies of each printed Invoice.

Any dispute should be resolve at the time its printed.

When it comes to returns Ive found them to be very good, happy to replace it, especially if returned within 7 days.

Mary
13-04-2005, 04:53 PM
recently bought a new graphics card for my husband's box (he couldn't play his brand spanking new copy of everquest II) from QMB.
We used pricespy.co.nz and QMB came up best priced. We ordered online then picked up the following day.
Had no problems, and received a printed invoice.

somebody
13-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I've had good experiences with them. If you're ordering online, beware that their prices are ex-GST and ex-Freight.

pctek
13-04-2005, 05:46 PM
They are good at selling things, that is if you can get someones attention.
However if you take something back for replacement then the fun begins.

As for prices, depends what you are looking for. They do sell a lot of low quality rubbish brand stuff as well as some of the better stuff, but I did a compare exact item for exact item with Computer Lounge and CL came out better every time.
Not to mention they have brilliant service......

quarry
13-04-2005, 09:59 PM
well chill, believe or not, this happened about 3 yrs ago! possibly they learnt their lesson after we sorted them out. my client paid me as a consultant technician to help them out. they basically accused the client of trying to return something because they realised I could get it cheaper for them. but i proved that the parts were faulty & just wanted a replacement, not a refund - so they lucked out. buyer beware.

paulw
14-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Of course they are one of these companies with deceptive pricing listing every thing X GST.. to make it appear cheaper than it really is..

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2005, 12:34 PM
I dont go by the website prices anyways... Stick with them and buy enough under a dealers account (Ive done somewhere around $40K AFAIK in the past 12 months) and you'll start seeing some very lucrative discounts.

Ive forgotten my password for online so I only place orders in-person to receive discounts.

Its well worth it!

Krad
15-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Ive been a long-time user.

They're mostly asian/indian but speak pretty good english.

Pricing is great. Service can be a little slow (Expect to wait for 5 minutes in the shop if you stand there looking like you dont know what you're doing), so try walking up to somebody and saying "Hi, I'd like to buy a PC System from you, Ive got your package system XYZ in mind" and take it from there.

Im a long-term happy customer.

Chill.
Hi Chill - Thanks for your experience with QMB Computers. What do you think of the deal they offered? Are the components of good quality? Would appreciate your advice. Krad.

Krad
15-04-2005, 01:51 PM
They are good at selling things, that is if you can get someones attention.
However if you take something back for replacement then the fun begins.

As for prices, depends what you are looking for. They do sell a lot of low quality rubbish brand stuff as well as some of the better stuff, but I did a compare exact item for exact item with Computer Lounge and CL came out better every time.
Not to mention they have brilliant service......
Hi PCTec, I checked out the Computer Lounge site and their prices seemed much higher than QMB, especially their systems which are quite expensive. Are any of the components in the deal below of questionable quality? Would appreciate your thoughts.
Pentium 4 3.0E 3.0Ghz Hyper-Threading Prescott 1M L2 cache/Gell 512Mb x 2 PC3200 400Mhz DDR/Seagate 160GB 7200RPM IDE HDD WITH 8MB BUFFER/Samsung 16x DVD Writer/Pragmatic 56k/v PCI Internal Fax Modem/Windows Xp Home Version/Creative Sound BlasterLive Digital 5.1/EXCEL CX-3158 Midi Tower case. $1265 inc GST. - Krad.

Chilling_Silence
15-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Make sure you get at least revision 6 of the firmware for the DVD Writer :) The DVD writer plays much nicer after you flash the firmware....

Otherwise I say go for it!