PDA

View Full Version : secondary IDE settings for cd-rom help please!!

Mantis
13-04-2005, 02:18 AM
Running.....

Athlon xp25008 1.8GHz 512ram

Windows XP Home

I have two cd drives installed in my machine.

1 x cd-rw and
1 x cd-rom

My secondary IDE settings are as follows...

Device 0 (the cd-rw)
Current Transfer Mode(s): Ultra DMA mode 2

Device 1 (the cd-rom)
Current Transfer Mode(s): PIO Mode only (with the option to goto DMA)

My cd-rom has always given me poor performance, and a board member (Gibler) suggested that it may be because the transfer mode is set to PIO mode and when I switch it to DMA it eventually switch's itself back to PIO.

Gibler also suggested that updating my Motherboard drivers may fix this problem from happening.

I am about to replace the cd-rom with a liteon dvd writer and am wondering if I will still need to update the motherbaord drivers? or will the installing the dvd writer leaving the settings as is, will I get sloppy performance from the new dvd drive?

If I have to update the motherboard driver how do I do this? and how do I find the driver? and how to I find the exact model of the motherboard?

Sorry for the long winded, possibly confusing and multi part question but I would really like to use the dvd writer to its full potential and if after installing it, it performs like my cd-rom does now I will be gutted.

Thansk for all and any help.

MANTIS.

Mantis
13-04-2005, 02:36 AM
forgot to mention that I have sp1....

and I have just read....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472

did I understand the following link that if I update to sp2 it should fix this problem? or did I misunderstand completly?

I was hoping to update to sp2 after I had installed the dvd writer and backed up my hardrive....

M.

Mantis
13-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Edit

Running.....

Athlon xp2500+ 1.8GHz 512ram

M.

PaulD
13-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Your problem is most likely the CDROM drive itself as the other drive is OK on the existing drivers. Windows is backing the speed off because of read errors. The laser may be weak or covered in dust and fluff.

pctek
13-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Just put the Liteon in (good choice), it will be fine. Make sure you install it as the master though.

Mantis
13-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys....

Is it absolutely essential to install it as the master? I was just going to swap it with the faulty cd-rom but will this cause poor performance?

Thanks Again.

M.

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Nope it shouldnt really matter what cd is on master or slave. Altho having the faster of the 2 as master might help.

Whats the IDE connection? Is it an 80 pin?? An IDE cable with a blue connector on the mobo end?? That may help.

Umm you could either use Everest Home to find out what the mobo is, or open the case and look at whats printed on the mobo, for the brand/model of the mobo. Yup SP2 fixed that prob you're having.

Altho XP should install cd drivers OK, you shouldnt have to go to the mobo manufacturer to get a cd driver. Just as long as u remove spyware (if u have any) SP2 works fine. Its spyware that'll reboot a system constantly, if u install SP2, without scanning for spyware first.