PDA

View Full Version : Problem with modem and web pages not showing

lisamarie01
13-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Im having a problem with my computer, my modem sometimes connects at a good speed, well good for my comptuer anyway at 42kbps, but lately sometimes when i connect like earlier tonight i was getting speeds like 9.2, and then 16.5, then 28.5 and its a 56k modem, dont know could this be the modem or the internet service provider, i have a double adapter into my phonline, one for the computer the other for the phone, i pulled them all out tonight and just plugged the computer in and it went back upto 42kbps, or could it be the computer? anyway of finding out? also another problem i am online viewing web pages and emails etc fine then next thing it wont open a web page, wont show emails even when i close the browser and re open still wont show it just acts like im not connected, but i am, sometimes i even disconnect and re connect and it still wont go on if i reboot then try again sometimes i get the bad connection, other times it works fine, could this all be because there was too much plugged into my phone line at one time? or my modem is stuffed? or my comptuer settings or something?any advice appreciated

Mantis
13-04-2005, 02:26 AM
I am by no means an expert but I think the general rule of thumb is the less between your computer's modem and the phone socket the better your connection will be....

Also I have experienced similar connection problems over the years on various ISP's.... in most cases the bad conection was due to overloading or the ISP updating their system so on and so forth.... However I'm not sure if this is the case for you??? What ISP are you with?

pctek
13-04-2005, 10:43 AM
You have more or less solved it yourself. You say when you removed the double adpater your connection was better. Modems are picky about line quality so no long cords to the jackpoint, no extension cords, no double adapters etc is best.
After all, if you are on the net, you won't be receiving any phone calls, so why not just swap them when you want to dial up.

Theres a good help faq here:
http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml#ad

lisamarie01
13-04-2005, 12:55 PM
The connection wasnt all that great, a little while later i had to disconnect and tried to reconnect and got the bad connection again, so might be something else, im sure the double adapter didnt help but didnt solve the problem taking it out.

beama
13-04-2005, 01:00 PM
have you

changed any configuation settings on your pc ?
added any software ?
is this a recent problem or been ongoing for a while ?

Safari
13-04-2005, 01:19 PM
The connection wasnt all that great, a little while later i had to disconnect and tried to reconnect and got the bad connection again, so might be something else, im sure the double adapter didnt help but didnt solve the problem taking it out.

Who is your ISP. If it is not an ISP problem then it is a typical symptom caused by phone line/modem issues.
Disconnect all phones from the line before you connect to see if there is any improvement.
If you are not in a main centre you may need to slow your modem connection speed with some extra settings to get a more reliable and stable connection.

lisamarie01
13-04-2005, 01:45 PM
i have had a connection before and been fine with it its only since i moved house i think i started having problems, havent changed any configuratinos on my pc, and yes have downloaded/installed some stuff but none have anything to do with the modem, too much stuff being added to my pc to go through every one.

godfather
13-04-2005, 02:22 PM
If the problem has surfaced only after shifting to another house, you should suspect the phone cabling or sockets in the house or the cabling back to the exchange in the street.

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Is something like Nortons Internet Security ( a firewall) installed?

Coz sometimes, even tho u can connect, this can also stop one of its services, which will kill surfing or any websites from loading.

Until u restart the service (If u use XP).

Safari
13-04-2005, 02:56 PM
What part of NZ are you in.
What is your modem model.
I will give you some extra settings to try, can't do any harm and are you using XP or something else.