PDA

View Full Version : comp hangs on bootup after i enter my password

petemit
12-04-2005, 11:23 PM
hi my comp hangs for about 30 secs after i enter my password the screen is blank though the icons are on the bottom bar with the norton antivirus icon having a x across it if i put cursor over it it says it is disabled after about 30 secs everything loads as normal and away we go comp is 3 yrs old 512 meg ram big hard drive p4pb motherboard with an agp graphics card running win xp pro
it hasnt always done this probably started 18 months ago ive just put up with till now but ive decided to do something about it dont have a clue where to start
thanks peter

Murray P
12-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Are you using the Nortons firewall as well, what version of Nortons is it?

Are you on a LAN or do you automatically conect to the net when you start up?

Any other active users other than you and Administrator.

What do you find if you go: Start > Run, type msconfig, Enter/OK and in the resulting window click the Sartup tab. List all checked items.

petemit
13-04-2005, 12:24 AM
hi the under general tab
selective startup
process system .ini file ticked
process win ini file ticked
load system services ticked
load startup items is ticked but isnt as black as the above ones
use modified boot .ini is ticked not use original boot

under system initiation tab all ticked

under win ini all ticked

under boot ini
(boot loader)
timeout=10
default =multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
(operating systems)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(10windows="microsoft windows xp profesional"/fastdetect/no execute=optIn
no boxes checked

services all boxes checked

startup following are checked
nvcpl nwiz zlclient ccapp advchk kmaestro sndmon
nvmctray E_s413t1 dumprep o -k

im running norton 2005 antivirus used to have system works probablly about 3 yrs old on comp but removed it earlier this yr this problem was there before i removed system works
thanks

Rob99
13-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Are there any other users, and do they have the same problem.

petemit
13-04-2005, 12:28 AM
sorry forgot to say not useing norton firewall useing zone alarm not pro version at present im going to asdl so will upgrade to pro then i think

no auto conect on dial up at present
only one user at time its a home computer
thanks for your help murry p its appreciated

Murray P
13-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Selective Startup, you've disabled some starup items before, there should be more listed under the startup tab? Have a look at this (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php)

Are you dual booting or perhaps have a debugger running?

Don't connect to the net, disable Zone alarm from starting and reboot, because some firewalls can/will check startup apps and system files, login/users, network connections when Windows is booting up, it can slow things down a bit. However, I'm more thinking along the lines of Rob, user login.

Another thought is to go here (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) amd disable any un-needed services, make sure you do this for the correct version of Windows XP and Service Pack.

Do you have MS Office and if yes, what version, is Fast Find in your Start menu somwhere, is OSA listed in your msconfig startup items.?

petemit
13-04-2005, 12:54 AM
hi murray no not dual booting
have used the program hi jack to remove suspicious entries off and on but probably not back when this problem started the startup items unchecked are

nero check k maestro qttask realsched microsoft office msupdater
palnetaware

i dont know of any others that should be there so if you know of any just say

Murray P
13-04-2005, 01:02 AM
Untick, realsched and qttask unless you want fast access to Realplayer and Quicktime, do the same for MS Office updater and probably Nero, all resource hogs, not sure theyr'e causing your particular problem though. What's maestro?

EX-WESTY
13-04-2005, 01:05 AM
maestro will be a soundcard driver from previous experience

petemit
13-04-2005, 01:14 AM
hi murray and robb
maesrto is keyboard driver
i will view other sites tommorow i have most of those entries unchecked as you sugested already i think office is version 2000

pctek
13-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Nortons is a resource hog for a start.
If you've been running this for 3 years, Windows is probably now a cluttered mess. You could try cleaning it out but a fresh reinstall would probably be a lot better. Back up your data and give it a go.

petemit
13-04-2005, 11:13 PM
thanks pctech any ideas to clean out other than a reinstall
and why would a clutered comp cause a x across norton untill it loads it sounds like the comp just sits there there is no noise no flashing lights then it kicks into gear and were away
peter

Rob99
13-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Make a new user account, and see if the same problems happen.