PDA

View Full Version : Flickering screen=faulty RAM ?

hotkiwi
12-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Dear friends,
since some time I am bothered by a flickering screen, displaying false colors of my notebook. It does not happen all the time, but if it is one of these days, I keep rebooting until at least some stability is reached. it only happens after I really log into Win XP. then it may be OK for weeks. Sometimes it just creates a circle with a diameter of 4 cm in the upper left corner of the screen. Some people tell me that this could be caused by faulty RAM. Indeed not too long ago I added some RAM. What would be a program to test my RAM for malfunctioning. Would SANDRA do that? Or is these also freeware, or do you think it is the graphics adapter?
Cheers
Johan

:groan: NB Just today i noticed something else! I am in an application, and that works fine, but going back to the Windows desktop its all flickering, then going into the application again, it is fine once more, so it can not be the graphics card I'd say??

Graham L
12-04-2005, 02:23 PM
RAM and the video system are unlikely to be the cause of this.

One possibility is the backlight inverter. (Though the 4 cm diameter circle has me puzzled).

How old is the laptop? Is it still covered by guarantee?

hotkiwi
12-04-2005, 02:34 PM
5 year old Packard Bell easy Note Sc. I replaced the Hard Disk for a 40 GB one and increased RAM. if it would be the inverter why would it flicker in for example the desktop view and stop flickering if I toggle to one or another application. If the flickering starts, faces are lined double contoured (looks like migraine of the comp to me.....)

Thanks for your reply and help!

cheers

Johan

Graham L
12-04-2005, 02:44 PM
The power supply might be a bit marginal (how much more current does the bigger disk pull?). Changing between windows will cause bursts of CPU activity, which will alter the current it pulls. If you unplug the extra RAM, that would totally exclude that.

It might be something as simple as an intermittent connector between the motherboard and the screen. Sometimes the foil cable can creep out of its socket, but usually that's a total failure. ;)

Renmoo
12-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Did you set the refresh rate of your screen high enough? Cheers :)

hotkiwi
12-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Did not have a look at that, but would you then not expect that problem to be around all the time? Puzzling, think it justifies me after 5 years to have a serious chat with my wife that I need a new one ;-)