PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Lixux in the post

timezone
11-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I just recieved my brand new Linux Distro in the post. Its a live CD, Mepis actually. When It booted up to the desktop its asked for a username and password!!!eh? Has me baffled as there is a password for demo and one for root. Is there a defualt password guys? :eek:

Jen
11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
The root password is root and the demo account password is demo. Just use the demo account to play with. Enjoy yourself, it is a nice distro. :)

timezone
11-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey cheers JEN...well im off to play with my new distro... :D

Metla
11-04-2005, 09:32 PM
That reminds me, The 10 pack of Ubuntu i ordered never turned up.....

Jen
11-04-2005, 09:43 PM
That reminds me, The 10 pack of Ubuntu i ordered never turned up.....I thought you and Ubuntu never saw eye to eye :p

You should consider giving Mepis (SimplyMEPIS-3.3) a try, at least from the live CD for starters.

Metla
11-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Nah, Can't stand live Cd's, and Ubutu was more my flavour then the other 4 or 5 distro's I've tried.

main reason I ordered the pack was so I could hand them out to those that ventured into the shop and asked about Linux....

Murray P
11-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Nah, Can't stand live Cd's, and Ubutu was more my flavour then the other 4 or 5 distro's I've tried.

main reason I ordered the pack was so I could hand them out to those that ventured into the shop and asked about Linux....

It's a live CD that is meant to be installed. The fact that it is live just means you can test it before committing. It's similar to Ubuntu, or I shoudl say Ubunutu to it, seeing as Mepis has been around longer and has less of the rough edges.

If you've had trouble with hardware detection and configuration before, I recommend you give it a crack. In my experience it can even detect where Knoppix sometimes fails and has the nVidia drivers already compiled (as many do now.

If you have an earlier nForce board (say ver 2), use Lilo rather than the default Grub if you have trouble booting when doing the HDD install, probably fixed by now and by no means exclusive to Mepis, in fact it was the only distro I could get to install properly on my board a year or so back..

Chilling_Silence
11-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I got 13 sets of Ubuntu delivered?!

Metla
11-04-2005, 10:14 PM
The problem as far as i could see was that my hardware was too new, especially the video card which at the time barely had Windows drivers.....And the first stab was with the 64-bit version.

Due to that failure I built up an second rig using a celeron and downloaded the 32bit version, worked fine, just didn't do anything I can't already do at 5 times the pace, infact it was only capable of a tiny amount of what I can do with my Windows rig (yeah yeah, with lots of work its possible to greatly expand a linux rig, But you need a reason, You can't fake enthusiasm, and as of right now Iím happy with XP....)

TonyF
11-04-2005, 10:19 PM
In view of all the foregoing I am tempted to write off for Ubuntu and have a go ...

Metla
11-04-2005, 10:42 PM
I have a copy I could send you, though it doesn't have the fancy packaging....

Chilling_Silence
12-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Are you sure its not a 64-bit CD Metla ;)

I really respect your honesty though.

I have enthusiasm (and a bit more spare time) and am making a LiveCD from scratch now (Not all its cracked up to be).

You will find Linux 64-bit support is MUCH better than that of Windows. Gentoo especially has been 100% for AGES now in the area of 64-bit computing!

TonyF
13-04-2005, 03:50 PM
For recent UBUNTU comments, see
http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu

Metla
13-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Whoa....I just read that article,and the one he links to on Mac OSX...

That dude is stuck on whinge-o-matic.