PDA

View Full Version : monitor pulsing

jonlinsmith
11-04-2005, 03:03 AM
my monitor has started doing a strange pulse kind of display. Whatever i have on the screen gets a fraction of an inch larger than back to normal. Is getting really annoying. Is this something i can adjust?
win98
compaq mv520 monitor

Myth
11-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Have you tried degaussing?
Most monitors have a degauss option within the monitors onboard menu.
What kind of graphics card do you have. Do you have the correct drivers installed?

Strommer
11-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Also check that speakers are not close to the screen, or anything else that would produce a magnetic / induction field.

B.M.
11-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Any mobile phone in close proximity?? :)

Billy T
11-04-2005, 11:19 AM
None of the above options are applicable to this problem.

Assuming that you are not operating in an industrial area and have stable power, it is most likely to be a fault in either the power regulation within the monitor or the beam current limiter.

You may be able to minimise the effect by setting up the brightness and contrast as follows:

This procedure is best carried out in the evening under reduced lighting.

1) Set brightness and contrast to minimum.

2) Turn up brightness until you can just see the screen illuminated (this is setting the black level).

3) Turn up the contrast until you have an acceptable image.

4) Make minor adjustments to brightness & contrast to get the best image.

Most computer monitors are grossly over-driven and their life expectancy is reduced accordingly. By setting up as above, you reduce the need for the beam limiter to operate and that may stabilise your image. If it doesn't, think warranty claim or new monitor.

Some other weird problem within your computer could be responsible, like varying drive levels from your video card (check with substitute monitor) but if it is the monitor, it is most likely a repair or replace matter.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

jonlinsmith
12-04-2005, 04:31 AM
i tried degaussing-didnt help.
Have set brightness and contrast as suggested-didnt help.
No moblies phones or anything new around pc.
Looked for updates-none
This is an older pc(got in 1998)Guess monitor is just going bad.
thanks anyway.
My son is giving me his old imac laptop, he got a new one. Hopefully, i wont be using this pc for much longer.