PDA

View Full Version : Xandros - Reduce Size of Parttion

dougsnr
10-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I have put Xandros [Thanks Chill] onto my computer along with XP.

I had to reformat the hard drive as Xandros said it needed defragging, but this didn't solve the problem. The Xandros Forum suggested this may happen.

After formatting the harddrive and putting XP back onto the computer Xandros went on smoothly. Xandros had drivers for my winmodem [XP doesn't], drivers for my Epson C40UX printer [XP doesn't] and recognised my scanner etc.

The only problem is that Xandros helped itself to too much space on the hardrive. 20.5 GB, leaving 16.2 GB for XP.

I would ideally like Xandros to have only 5 GB as I have a few resource hungry Windows programs.

How do I get around this?

One way would be to reformat the hard drive again. But how do you get Xandros to go to the 5 GB partition when it will want to sit in the partition with XP?

Look forward to your ideas. Doug Snr

Graham L
10-04-2005, 01:57 PM
You should be able to tell Xandros to use any amount (there will be an "expert" mode in the partitioning stage).

But since you will probably want to reload XP with more space you, do it at that stage. Just tell XP to use 33Gb or so, leaving 5GB unallocated.

Then Xandos will ask if you want it to use the free space. Tell it "Yes". ;)

Jen
10-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Is this Xandros 3.0? There is a graphical installation guide here (http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_gettingstarted.html) which mentions how to resize partitions. From reading the instructions, unless you use the advanced setup Xandros will make a bee-line for the largest unallocated space and install in that partition. Start up the installation CD again, and this time use the disk configuration (http://www.xandros.com/products/home/images/oc_gettingstarted/snapshot09_original.jpg) setup to increase the existing XP partition and then let Xandros have the remaining space. Personally I would give Xandros a bit more than 5 gigs so that you have some room to grow - even 8 gigs would be better but 10 would be ideal. :)

The only problem is that Xandros helped itself to too much space on the hardrive. 20.5 GB, leaving 16.2 GB for XP.This part puzzles me, how did you resize the partitions to start with? When you installed XP you would of had the opportunity to create partitions at this stage and I assume you gave XP all but 5 gigs worth? Or did you use the Xandros partitioning tool and accidently reduce the XP partition too much?

dougsnr
10-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Graham and Jen

Thank you for your replies.

Jen - I formatted all of the disc into one partition. I reinstalled XP onto that onepartition. And then installed Xandros using the express installation. I let Xandros do its thing and it took a bigger slice of the original partition.

Thanks Doug Snr

Jen
10-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Ah OK. Well this time use the custom install method so that you have greater control over the partiton share - Guide here for dual booting installation (http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_gettingstarted.html#coexist). Just follow that and resize your XP partition so that it is bigger and then reinstall Xandros into the remaining free space. :)

dougsnr
10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Jen

Yes it is Xandros 3. Thank you for taking the time to locate the short cut refrences to the Xandros web site.

I must admit I had tunnel vision to complete the task with the express install as suggested or described in all the excellent reviews associated with this OS.

I didn't examine the custom install, but will have a look at that now.

Thanks again Doug Snr

Chilling_Silence
11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Try the following from a konsole:
su -
[enter root passwd]
apt-get update
apt-get install qtparted

Then use QtParted to resize them :)

dougsnr
13-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks to everyone once again.

I eventually formatted the hard drive again. Put on XP and then used Xandros custom install to resize the partitions.

Graham and Jen were right with their suggestion that Xandros would do this when asked. And it is so easy in the custom install application - you just adjust the XP size and the Xandros size adjusts accordingly.

Thanks Doug