PDA

View Full Version : auto restart

trader15570
10-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I've been using win xp pro for awhile now.

My pc has developed a habit of automatically rebooting evry now and then!!
Have scanned for virus's with nortons and have microsoft antispyware active.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Myth
10-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Sounds more like a hardware problem, possibly the power supply.
Have you tried swapping parts around? i.e. try another power supply

Is it bringing up any error codes when it restarts?

Prescott
10-04-2005, 10:58 AM
what are you system specs?
when does it reboot?
how do you mean every now and then? is there a certain time? what are you doing when it reboots?

trader15570
10-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi

I'm not doing anything n particular when it reboots. Sometimes I'm not even at the computer.

Power supplies are tricky to check as I'm using a laptop.

P4 3.0 g intel
Ati 9600 mobility graphics
1 ghz ram
Win XP pro

godfather
10-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Disable automatic resatring on error, so you get the BSOD and hopefully an error mesage.

Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery/Settings - deselect "Automatically restart..." and OK out.

But chances are high that it is a temperature related problem, using a 3.0 GHz desktop chip in a laptop. It is very hard to get rid of the heat in a confined space, many models have significant ongoing problems.

Alan Cotrell
10-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Hello Trader,

The rebooting will ba caused any of a multitude of issues,

However you can probably get a good gauge on the severity of the problem by doing the following.

Right click on My Computer click on properties click on the advanced tab from the pop up screen click on settings under the startup and recovery box.

Untick the bottom two boxes under system failure.

This will stop the annoying "feature" of windows rebooting every time it comes across any sort of problem.

If your PC now carries on fine with no bluescreens or lockups, you will have nothing else to do.

If you start getting instability issues, you will need to do some in depth trouble shooting as to what the problem is.

First things to think of would be, have you added new hardware (driver issue)
have you added new software ( bad dll files or drivers) or ogf course it could be failing PC components.

Regards

AC

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Click on my computer on the desktop / properties / advanced / startup and recovery.

Under system failure, untick automatically restart.

Then if it reboots again, look in control panel / admin tools / event viewer.

System. On the right-hand side of this, check for a dump entry.

Double click on the entry ctrl c to copy it and paste it back here.

Myth
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Hmm, laptop......
*Thinking aloud* I wonder if theres any chance you can increase the fan size in a lappie.
Are you using the laptop on a firm base (i.e. desk or something similar, not on the bed)?

Prescott
10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
im guessing a overheating issue. how old is it? when you turn it on how hot does the base feel?
go into the BIOS by pressing the del key or what ever it says when you boot it up, then go to the pc health menu and look at the temp, report that temp back to us. :)