PDA

View Full Version : Video query

Joe_Davies
09-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi Folks,

My son has bought himself a digital video camer (Panasonic) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to be able to first, get the raw footage from the camera on to our computer (Athlon 1.4Ghz, 256 MB, GE Force 4 64MB video card running Windows ME) and second, edit it on the computer.

Do I need to buy new gear, and can I get free software?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Davies

chiefnz
09-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Ummm well let me just say it's not exactly the best suited machine for video editing, but I'm not saying it can't be done either. What sort of cabling did the camera come with (USB, Firewire ?) If you have either of these then I would recommend you rather spend your money on a bit more RAM and a better graphics card.

I suggest an extra 256MB of RAM firstly, then a new graphics board and DITCH Win ME as soon as for something more stable (at least Win 2000)

If however you're not up for that sort of a step then...

The camera should've come with some video editing software. You may need to install a driver for the camera onto the computer (this should also be on the CD that came with your camera.) Once you have done that then you should be able to access the camera direct from the the software program you installed.

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
09-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I use a Panasonic digital video cam here (NV-DS30), but it has firewire onboard.

Has your cam got firewire or USB 2?? it should have some kind of connection.

Where u put the DV tape in, are there any connections here?? Like a firewire or USB 2 port?

If it has firewire, I doubt ME will detect it.

I couldnt get Windows 2000 to detect this one. BUT XP did. XP detected it and installed drivers for it and identified it as a Panasonic DV Camera.

All I got with this cam, was a cd, with a program for it, so u could transfer pics to the PC. (The cam also has a connection for a com port on it).

And has a photoshot button on it, so u can take snapshots and record them to dv tape.

This was only for pics not video. So, in the end I had to install XP, so I could transfer the video off the cam, so I could edit it, then burn it.

I think, if yours has a USB2 connection, or even USB 1.1 it may not be fast enough for video editing, only for something like video conferencing.

Metla
09-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Folks,

My son has bought himself a digital video camer (Panasonic) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to be able to first, get the raw footage from the camera on to our computer (Athlon 1.4Ghz, 256 MB, GE Force 4 64MB video card running Windows ME) and second, edit it on the computer.

Do I need to buy new gear, and can I get free software?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Davies

Alrighty.

The First issue is to capture it to the comp (its not a tansfer,it plays the file and records it to the comp), Don't use USB2, It not only forces a low quality capture which will look like a dropped pie it lacks the smart features of Firewire.

Anyhow, If you don't already have a firewire input then you will need to buy one,This is the time to be cunning and buy one that comes with some software,capturing and Authoriing.It will save huge amounts of money if you have to buy the software seperatly.

Your system specs are fine,though it will take a fair amount of time, At the very least I would suggest another stick of ram,if you can afford it I would recomend replacing the cpu with a faster model and dropping in a couple stick of much faster Ram.

Did you mention the size of your Harddrive?.....The more space the better,Video files take up Gigs,they need even more Gigs for the temp files during the Authoring process ,and even a few more gig to hold your finished product, You would want to be lookin at 60 gig of clear real estate before starting the work, You can get by with far less but it does become a juggling act.

What are you going to do with the finished product?

Burn to DVD?

Then you need a DVD Writer...

Operating Software.

Nothing worse then getting 3 hours into a project and having the puter reboot and you not only lose all your work but also have a few GB of stray video files glogging up your HD.

Which is why I would suggest going to XP,its not only far more stable then ME but has an excellent video app built right into it (Movie Maker 2,that can handle all your capturing and editing needs)

Hmmm....Looking back over that I have probally gone to the point of recomending a new PC, That isn't cast in stone you can get by on what you have,its just that hardware and software have moved on a fair bit since your system was new.

When I first started to do video editing the specs of your system were unheard of and i still got by....