PDA

View Full Version : Missing Disc Drive Icon

Pecunia
09-04-2005, 01:20 PM
On my computer I have 1 sata drive, 2 ide drives, dvd writer and zip drive. The computer is aware of all the drives,(in the bios screens and System Works) but in My Computer there is no icon for one of the ide drives (slave) and I am not able to access it. Any ideas??

pheonix
09-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Possibilities are that it is not formatted or you are using windows in FAT32, and the slave is formatted as NTFS.
If you right-click on your drive and choose properties, it will tell you if you are using Windows formatted in FAT32. ( as the file system)

gibler
09-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, we have no idea which operating system you have there. Windows XP?

Assuming you have Windows XP, then goto Start Menu- > run ->enter: DISKMGMT.MSC and click OK. Now does it appear in this Disk Management program?

Pecunia
09-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm using XP Pro. Both the IDE discs are FAT32. If I remove the zip disc I then see the 2 IDE's. Running DISKMGMT.MSC shows all the discs. The IDE's as Healthy(active).

pheonix
09-04-2005, 06:05 PM
In the management console, are all the drives and partitions been allocated drive letters?

pctek
09-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm using XP Pro. Both the IDE discs are FAT32. If I remove the zip disc I then see the 2 IDE's. Running DISKMGMT.MSC shows all the discs. The IDE's as Healthy(active).
Hmmm, it wouldn't be something silly like the number of drive letters permitted is limited?

Pecunia
09-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Yes, all the drives have drive letters A no B, C - G except G doesn't show up in My Computer.

Pecunia
10-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Problem solved!! Thanks everyone for your help. Yes, it was a silly thing like the limitation of the drive letters as found and fixed by TweakUI. Thanks again.