PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a Mac without an on/off button?

Billy T
08-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Got an old single unit Mac here (no model number because it isn't actually where I am) but have no keyboard hence no Mac power-on key.

Can I use an ordinary ps2 keyboard and if so, what key to start, or what else do you do to turn the darned thing on?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :annoyed:

Jams
09-04-2005, 12:08 AM
what i use to do with an Old PC was have her open, and touch a key (as in car key) on the two pins that the Power Switch would normaly be plugged into.

i felt all special inside, felt like i had hot wired a car.

gibler
09-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Er, I believe all old macs use their own apple desktop bus (ADB) which has plugs that roughly look vaguely like PS/2 but they aren't. The macs then moved on to USB for keyboards and mice. And the old mac keyboards and a few earlier USB ones used to indeed have power on buttons too

More info on lowerendmac (http://lowendmac.com/)

There is nearly a mac museum at work but I guess you don't live in Dunedin.

The models without power-on buttons on the case are so old I don't know if it is worth it anyway :rolleyes:

Billy T
09-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Ah well, it was just curiosity. I picked it up free so I'll jink it.

I didn't like the look of it anyway, inside or out.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Mike
09-04-2005, 08:38 AM

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :DHi Billy, I'm pretty sure I've got a Mac keyboard + mouse downstairs in a box somewhere (mouse cord is actually attached to the keyboard I think) - I don't have a Mac, and am unlikely to ever have one, so you can have the keyboard if you want it, and can arrange to get it :) I'm in Tauranga...

I think I also have a Mac screen here somewhere too...

Mike.

Graham L
09-04-2005, 04:16 PM
It's just like a car with a flat battery. Get two or three hefty volunteers to push it until it's up to a good speed, then drop the clutch.

But since it's a computer, you might just push it over a cliff. :badpc:

pctek
09-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D
At risk of rhubarb I'll say: why would you want to start it anyway. :-)

Graham L
09-04-2005, 04:36 PM
As the chicken said when asked why it crossed the road: "To see what was on the other side".

Billy T
09-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Problem solved.

It is now at the tip (but in the recycling area) which is the best place for it. :badpc:

Thanks for the offer Mike, but unlike the chicken, I wasn't all that interested in getting to the other side.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

the highlander
10-04-2005, 05:29 PM
"At risk of rhubarb I'll say: why would you want to start it anyway. :-) "

Remember that any dissing of apple/macintosh products/users in this forum is severly frowned upon. I believe the current thinking is that in the broadest sense of the word that the above forementioned devices are in fact, despite their appearance, technically computers and that constant negative comments directed at them constitute harrassment of their operators who are becoming emotionally distressesed.
or in other words
if you can't take a joke why buy one in the first place ? :D