PDA

View Full Version : Super Cheap Computers

Twelvevolts
07-04-2005, 12:04 AM
I bought a flash drive off Super Cheap Computers and it was faulty so I returned it. Two weeks later I am trying to find out what is happening but this outfit don't answer their phone, don't respond to e mails and don't return comment to their web site. They look like they still sell stuff to people but don't stand by their products. Does anyone know if they are still operating?

TonyF
07-04-2005, 12:34 AM
PriceSpy comments about Super Cheap Computers Ltd

As far as I can tell Super Cheap Computers Ltd are honest traders, but I get a fair few complaints about them all the same. People report that it is hard to reach them on the phone and that they don't always answer emails promptly. While I wait for their service and information to improve here are my comments and advice to anyone considering making a purchase from Super Cheap Computers Ltd:

Visiting the physical store - Super Cheap Computers Ltd share the same store as the more expensive Global Computers Ltd - www.globalcomputers.co.nz - on the corner of Pitt Street and K Road. The sign for Super Cheap Computers is a sheet of A4 in the door.

Kame
07-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Twelvevolts, don't worry this is how Super Cheap operate, I give their service a 0 rating.

Remember a lot of suppliers will match Super Cheaps prices, that's what my suppliers do, so I don't have to bother with their service, nor visit their cramped store and at least I can phone or email my suppliers and they will answer, not like Super Cheap.

When I complained to Philip (from Pricespy) he told me he was going to visit them personally and do his own investigation on the situation. Since Super Cheap are sponsors for him, I guess he's a bit more leniant towards them, and I'm glad he's still said something about it, but when you address Super Cheap about this, they obviously don't care.

All I would suggest is don't support them, if your other suppliers are willing to match the prices, then why not use them instead, least you might experience better service.

KK

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Why not ask if somebody would act on your behalf and pay them a visit otherwise?

I believe there was a column about them in the reader-comments section of PCWorld a short while back.

Just keep at it, continue emailing them, they will respond.

pctek
07-04-2005, 08:53 AM
This is normal behaviour for them. It always amazes me that people base their purchasing decisions on whos cheapest. Personally I'd rather pay a bit more and get reliable good service.
I'd go in and see them or get someone to go in if you are not in Auckland.
Make a fuss. Mention the Fair Trading Act, Fair Go and anything else that will encourage them.
Then never buy anything from them again.
Note: QMB are often like this too when you try to return something.

KiwiTT_NZ
07-04-2005, 09:12 AM
What fault did you experience. I bought a 1GB Memory card from them, and I thought it was faulty, because it would not save anymore. Then I realised I had more than 112 items in the root directory. (A limitation of FAT formatting). Once I moved the files to separate directories it worked fine. Flash drives may be similar.

Strommer
07-04-2005, 09:30 AM
I have ordered several items from them including 256 Mb Flash Memory, 512 Mb CF card, and have had no problems. They have sent confirmation emails promptly and the delivery was fast. Waiting on a delivery today, as a matter of fact...!

pctek
07-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I have ordered several items from them including 256 Mb Flash Memory, 512 Mb CF card, and have had no problems. They have sent confirmation emails promptly and the delivery was fast. Waiting on a delivery today, as a matter of fact...!
Ah but they don't have a problem seeling you something - its when you try to return something under warranty the fun begins.

Ash M
07-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Ah but they don't have a problem seeling you something - its when you try to return something under warranty the fun begins.

I've never had a problem with them to be honest, however I always go in in person. I bought an 80gb Hitachi drive, that just clicked instead of runnng properly. I took it back the next day and they tested it, apologiesed and gave me a better model (a Seagate) as a replacement at no extra charge.

I know from being in there that their phone rings off the hook and they don't thus answer it much. Go in in person if you are in Auckland, and i'm sure you'll have more luck

Greg
07-04-2005, 12:22 PM
According to another forum I subscribe to, Super Cheap have an attrocious reputation. Their name says it all.... buy cheap, expect cheap. I wouldn't touch em unless I had money that wasn't needed by the homeless.

Agent_24
07-04-2005, 12:41 PM
never had a problem with them myself, although my friend has - Most items i've ordered online and had delivered, but a few I've picked up.

But I think the delays are because they need to get more people working there..

Also in respect to returning items to them, I was in their shop once and noticed a large courier parcel in their shop with "could not find supercheap's address" written on it - Which obviously comes from the global computers issue...

though in that case they must have rung courier NZ and told them they hadn't got the parcel, and where their shop was.

pctek
07-04-2005, 02:52 PM
But I think the delays are because they need to get more people working there..

Doesn't explain their rudeness and refusal to accept returns.

tvgts
07-04-2005, 07:31 PM
keep at it, i bought a faulty usb external tv tuner from them which i returned the next day back in January, after numerous calls/emails I have finally got a refund mid march.
Beware that they send all returns off-site to get it tested by their so-called "independent workshop" so this will take time. had no problem with that but i had to keep calling and calling to get an answer, they made plenty of empty promises to contact me when it returned and after 6wks or so after i had called yet again, they say it was returned with no fault. I then demanded to come-in with my laptop to test but was blocked as they were convinced it was my laptop at fault., end of story. after 6wks i was not happy!

hint, if you know someone that is associated with a law firm or large corporate, get them to send the email on your behalf. A lawyer friend did this for me, essentially taking over the discussions instead of my and hey presto, got my refund the following week.

my lesson learnt is that i will no longer be buying anything from these guys no matter how cheap they are. I mean, even QMB are better, that's gotta say something.

Myth
07-04-2005, 09:41 PM
This topic has raised a question in my mind....
Taranaki is limited with no reasonably large non chainstore computer parts suppliers here (there are a few small ones).
If I had to bring in parts from say Auckland or Wellington, who would you guys recommend?
Recommendations to be based on quality of product, service, and of course price (don't want to be paying twice the national average for a harddrive for example) please
Thanx

Metla
07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
opps,misread your post..

Anyhow,why not check out the prices of the small local suppliers,The size of their shop shouldn't put you off at least making a query.

TonyF
07-04-2005, 10:48 PM
and of course price (don't want to be paying twice the national average for a harddrive for example) please

Keep an eye on www.pricespy.co.nz for the going rates for some items.

lovis1
13-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I have to agree about Super Cheap's Super Poor service. I purchased 50 blank dvds and 8 out 10 failed during burn. When I returned to their Pitt St. store their instant reply (in stereo by both people behind the counter) was that there were no guarantees on blank dvds. This was not mentioned when I purchased them, and their quick response tells me that they have been through this before.

With this kind of lack of service on a relatively cheap product I can't imagine I would ever trust a more expensive purchase from them. I will never shop there again.

bruce

Big John
13-06-2007, 11:37 AM
This topic has raised a question in my mind....
Taranaki is limited with no reasonably large non chainstore computer parts suppliers here (there are a few small ones).

Thanx

Being in the Naki I also have to do this. I get the majoritory of my stuff from Ascent Technology and have never had an issue. They answer all queries and responses promptly and have good prices as well. Not the cheapest but still good. Delivery is also awesome.

PaulD
13-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I have to agree about Super Cheap's Super Poor service. I purchased 50 blank dvds and 8 out 10 failed during burn. When I returned to their Pitt St. store their instant reply (in stereo by both people behind the counter) was that there were no guarantees on blank dvds. This was not mentioned when I purchased them, and their quick response tells me that they have been through this before.

The difficulty would be the fit for task aspect did you ask for a disk known to be suitable for your burner or pick the cheapest no name brand. Some burners will coaster disks that work perfectly in others. On the ImgBurn suppport forum the cheapest recommended media is Verbatim and that's less that $1 per disk.

Agent_24
13-06-2007, 12:04 PM

With this kind of lack of service on a relatively cheap product I can't imagine I would ever trust a more expensive purchase from them. I will never shop there again.

bruce

If the DVDs were really cheap then that is to be expected, especially if burning at a fast speed. some burners need a firmware update to write to newer media, so if your burner is an older model this may be the case. Also, check the DVDs for their own warranty - they may have a way you can send them back to someone other than supercheap...

JJJJJ
13-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Any firm that calls itself "Super Cheap" should be avoided like the plague.

Anyway supercheap means , same price as everyone else.

Greg
13-06-2007, 12:49 PM

bruceYou're a mug. Sure, Super Cheap are ********s when it comes to service, but who's the bum-end for buying a dispensible product like DVDs from the likes of them in the first place?

But I question why ***** at Super Cheap for your product that's faulty - they're simply a middle man. You should've purchased better quality disks.

LOWTEC
13-06-2007, 06:55 PM
had a bad experience from them a year or so ago now so would never go back, still waiting for them to get back to me... as people have said there name says it all and you pay for what you get. id avoid them at all cost.

zqwerty
13-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I bought a Flash Drive off SuperCheap via their online service, it failed about the third time I used it, it had sat in my drawer unused for months.

Using the means contained in the online order form I got back to them, it was way out of warranty. They replied to my every inquiry and after 2 months, during which time the drive was sent back to the supplier for evaluation, my new drive arrived on my doorstep in Chch, every step of the way they let me know what was happening.

Very good service 10/10, SuperCheap were good to me.

Try going here and logging in to your account, then find your order and contact from there.

http://supercheappc.biz/site/login.php?osCsid=0223b7e9d81affc734b982e325a3a43b

TideMan
13-06-2007, 09:57 PM

bruce

You should adopt my mantra:
The first time you screw me it's your fault.
But the second time you screw me it's my fault

george12
13-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I bought a Flash Drive off SuperCheap via their online service, it failed about the third time I used it, it had sat in my drawer unused for months.

Using the means contained in the online order form I got back to them, it was way out of warranty. They replied to my every inquiry and after 2 months, during which time the drive was sent back to the supplier for evaluation, my new drive arrived on my doorstep in Chch, every step of the way they let me know what was happening.

Very good service 10/10, SuperCheap were good to me.

Try going here and logging in to your account, then find your order and contact from there.

http://supercheappc.biz/site/login.php?osCsid=0223b7e9d81affc734b982e325a3a43b

That's great, but no store should send the product back to their supplier and then await its return before giving it back to you. They should instantly give you another, and then deal with their supplier in their own time. I would expect this service from any store.

Edit: Your case is an exception I suppose as it was out of warranty...

For those who want a recommendation for a similarly priced store, I highly recommend OC Zone (www.nzoczone.com). I have made about 30 orders from them so far this year, and have had excellent service and no issues. They keep good levels of stock and tell you promptly if something has run out. Last time this happened they gave me a more expensive brand of graphics card ($100 more) for no extra cost.

They are usually about equal to the lowest price on pricespy. If I make an order on Monday it usually arrives on Wednesday morning, which is fine. Sometimes it will take a day or two longer, but you're going to get that from a cheap store.

And no, I have no affiliation with OC Zone apart from spending lots of money there.

Erayd
13-06-2007, 11:50 PM
...and after 2 months...Brilliant service... :rolleyes:

PaulD
13-06-2007, 11:58 PM
That's great, but no store should send the product back to their supplier and then await its return before giving it back to you. They should instantly give you another, and then deal with their supplier in their own time. I would expect this service from any store.

But if one of your customers claimed that product you supplied was faulty would you give them another one before you knew whether it really was a genuine fault? You seem to watch the expenses too much for that ;)
No one expects the store to do more than required.

zqwerty
14-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Yes in times gone by I would have expected them to sent me a replacement in the next mail, but these "rip off days" you take what you can get.

Also it was well out of the warranty period and they were kind enough to overlook that, so they get a big thank you from me.

Cicero
14-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Do support the locals,look what happened to Met.

Fishb8
14-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I orderd a stick of ram for about $80, a couple of years back and never even received it. Couldn't get through by phone or any reply to my emails. Not worth my time to travel from Hammy to see them in person.
Definitely bitten. Never buy anything from them if you're not from Auckland!
Highly un-recommended.

supertrouper
15-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I have bought on a regular basis from them as they are handy to where I am normally working - that's about the only reason I do buy there. I always call in to the shop personally, and take cash with me as they charge extra for a credit card transaction. I have to admit their sales philosophy leaves a lot to be desired and the staff there seem to change every month. Like a lot of high-volume, low profit places, they are more interested in taking your money off you than sorting out an item that has failed - but you just need to be persistent and follow through - as already mentioned it is best if you visit the store in person and sort it that way.

george12
15-06-2007, 04:15 PM
But if one of your customers claimed that product you supplied was faulty would you give them another one before you knew whether it really was a genuine fault? You seem to watch the expenses too much for that ;)
No one expects the store to do more than required.

No, that's not what I was saying. I would get it from them, test it myself, and if it was faulty, give them a new one - then send the one they gave back for replacement to my supplier.

What I wouldn't do is send it to my supplier and wait for it to be returned to me before sending it back to them, as shops like Supercheap tend to do.

I'm only out the value of the item until I put it in another computer and sell it.

Billy T
15-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I always call in to the shop personally, and take cash with me as they charge extra for a credit card transaction.
I believe that is a breach of the Card Company's terms and conditions or some other regulatory provision as well. You can't add a surcharge to credit card transactions.

Somebody here will know the details.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wratterus
15-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I believe that is a breach of the Card Company's terms and conditions or some other regulatory provision as well. You can't add a surcharge to credit card transactions.

Somebody here will know the details.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I've got the same feeling....anyone?:confused:

Graham L
15-06-2007, 05:21 PM
It's a bank rule. But since the banks happily slap a surcharge on cash transactions over a certain amount, who cares what they think?

Anyway, it's a good idea. Why should cash customers subsidise credit card customers?

george12
15-06-2007, 05:29 PM
If 'credit card surcharge' makes the card company unhappy, they just change it to a 'cash discount' which is 'already reflected in prices'. I guess it's to discourage doing what I do - always using my credit card when it doesn't cost extra, so I get the 1% cash back (which REALLY adds up).

heni72847
15-06-2007, 10:11 PM
there are lots computer shops out there where they make you pay extra to use credit card...also some dairies don't even let you use credit card..

but ha..this reminds me..
went to pay car insurance once
and the guy behind the desk said..sorry..we don't take credit cards
then the manager heard and came along
and said..nah we can take it .. because we're RICH! :D

..er..yea I guess car insurance people don't mind paying for credit card surcharges but a different story when computer shops are trying to make everything seem as cheap as possible

KenESmith
17-06-2007, 02:43 AM
One rule of the market is that you get what you pay for - the trouble is that everyone tries to be the cheapest, and with this quality and service go out the window -
Remember "The sour taste of inferior quality and poor service lasts longer than the euphoria of a sharp price"
If you are looking for good service and a fair price you can do a lot worse than PB Technology and C & L Computers - I can recommend both, although not from recent purchases.

colemanjay
21-07-2007, 01:16 AM
what i know super cheap computers owned by a indian guy! as they name says all "super cheap"!! super indian bad services! i got terrible problem with them. i bought a hard drive from them and return it as faulty, what they say is will test it and will charge me if non-faulty! finally, they told me hard drive is working and charge me! finally i found they replaced the hard drive as i had wrote down the previous hard drive seriers number and want to charge me!

they should be deleted by pricespy! i had been told they were disappeared for few months and show up again!! no idea why pricespy show them up?

anybody and help me out with their action?

Agent_24
21-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Tell them that you got a different serial number, with any luck your original (now faulty) drive had its serial number put on your invoice, in which case you should be easily able to prove it's a different drive.

aidanmaz
21-07-2007, 02:31 PM
i had a friend who brought a dvd drive from them and the next day the drive stopped reading disks, he took it back with the receipt and they refused to give him another drive quoting he would have to repay. A big arguement ensued, neither of us has either been back since.

The are happy to sell but in terms on support.......