PDA

View Full Version : Installing a 2nd hard drive (slave??)

amyes5
06-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I want to "slave" a hard drive where the C partition has gone "kaput" in order to hopefully retreive my files from the D/E partitions.Are there any pitfalls to avoid?Special wire up requirements?Hints or tips from the experts out there.Will I need to change any BIOS settings? Boot order etc????

Myth
06-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Just make sure the jumpers at the back of the harddrives are set correctly

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Umm u cant do that if what u want is on the same partition, and that partition isnt bootable.

Unless u have another hard drive with windows on it.

If u have another hdd, all u do is set the jumper on it as master, the other as slave. Put them both on the ide primary connection, on the motherboard.

And put primary/secondary master/slave on auto in the BIOS.

ForbiddenSword
06-04-2005, 05:44 PM
If you want to restore your files, I wouldn't recommend installing a second hard drive and reinstalling windows.

If you have a search for Knoppix ( It's linux ) this is an operating system that runs from a cd, this way you can access your files without installing another operating system, just burn them to disks or something.

If you feel strongly against this option, what you need to do, is set the jumpers on your SECOND hard drive ( without the files on it ) to master, and replace the cable from your FIRST hard drive with it. Then, either set the other hard drive to secondary and put it on the same cable as the other one, or set it as master and put it on the secondary cable ( other cable :P, normally used for cd drives? ).

Then throw in an install cd for windows, and then when your computer starts up, it should say press DEL ( or sometimes another key ) to enter setup.
From there, you can change the boot order, and put the cd drive first so it will boot the installation cd. Install windows, and then copy the files over, and do the same with your other hard drive, and then copy the files back.

*phew* That's the hard way :P

pctek
06-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I am guessing you have another HDD already set up with windows. If so, no worries, just follow the intsructions form the 1st post there and you're off.

The other guys are saying what to do if you HAVEN'T got another set up.

Ollie123
28-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi, will jump in on this old post since this is what I need help with!

Have got a new 200GB Seagate HDD, and already have a 30GB HDD with Windows XP Pro an it.
I plugged in the 200GB as the master and the 30GB as the Slave, turned the computer on. Firstly I notice one of the fans is making a funny noise, kind of like it is having trouble turning.
After the BIOS screen a message comes up "Booting from ATAPI CD-ROM", (or something like that). It then says Boot Failure and asks for a Boot up floppy.

From these posts it looks like I should beable to get the new drive going from the old drive. The BIOS recognises the new drive and all the drive settings are on auto.

Any help here would be really helpful.

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2005, 04:47 PM
You'll need SP1 or SP2 for XP to see all of the 200GB.

It'll be better if u put the 200gb as slave and the 30gb as master, unless u want to reinstall XP on the 200 GB again.

Boot from the 30GB.

After this, just go to control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management. If the 200 GB appears here, highlight and format it.

Change the bootdisk in BIOS from cd to hard drive (and take any cds out of the cdrom/s), and then boot from the hdd.

bartsdadhomer
28-06-2005, 04:49 PM
I plugged in the 200GB as the master and the 30GB as the Slave, turned the computer on. Firstly I notice one of the fans is making a funny noise, kind of like it is having trouble turning.
After the BIOS screen a message comes up "Booting from ATAPI CD-ROM", (or something like that). It then says Boot Failure and asks for a Boot up floppy.

From these posts it looks like I should beable to get the new drive going from the old drive. The BIOS recognises the new drive and all the drive settings are on auto.

The 200 should be slave and the 30 should be master (assuming you still want to boot to XP from the 30)
If you are trying to install a fresh copy of XP onto the 200 then put your XP CD into the drive and press any key when "Booting from ATAPI CD-ROM" appears onscreen

Ollie123
28-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks people, so I will plug the 200GB as a slave and the 30 as master and change the BIOS boot up setting to hard drive.

Thanks again

Ollie123
28-06-2005, 07:25 PM
OK, heres the problem.
I plugged in the 30GB as the master and the 200GB as the slave, booted up the computer and checked the BIOS.
It had picked the 200GB drive up as the slave, but only showed 146GB which I can fix up later. But there was NONE listed beside the primary HDD which was ment to be the 30GB.
So I unconnected the 200GB and checked the BIOS again. Now it showed the 30GB as the slave.
Does this mean that they both want to be slaves or am I doing something wrong??

bartsdadhomer
28-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Have you got the jumper in the right place on the 30G, check again
have a look here
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,11376,pg,2,00.asp

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2005, 07:33 PM
You cant have 2 slaves on the same ide connection. They'll clash.

Make sure the 30 gb has been jumpered to Master and the 200 as slave on the back of it. Then go into the BIOS and put Primary IDE Master/slave to AUTO then save the settings.

Then see if it'll see the whole 200 gb in windows. Thru disk management as in my previous post.

Format it in NTFS.

Jen
28-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Firstly I notice one of the fans is making a funny noise, kind of like it is having trouble turning.That doesn't sound good. Open your case and see if any cable or object is touching the fans, or at least pin-point down which fan is making this noise. If it is the CPU heatsink fan, then do not turn on the computer again until you fix this.

Ollie123
28-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, the fan is fine now, but I just changed the jumpers on the drives and put them back in. The 30GB has now showed up as the master as I wanted but now their is no slave been detected even though it has been connected up.
Even in windows there seems to be no sign of any other drive been installed which seems strange.

Just to make sure I'm connecting up right: I have 1 cable running from the blue plug in the motherboard. The cable has 1 black and 1 grey plug on it. I have put the black into the 30GB which comes first and the grey into the 200GB which comes second from the motherboard. The power cables have been connected.

Does this sound right??

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2005, 09:16 PM
The blue end should connect to the motherboard primary ide connection, the middle to the 200 as a slave (and the 200 gb jumper on slave, and configured in BIOS as primary slave, if it is connected to the primary ide connection on the mobo), and the end cable to the 30 gb which is the master.

Like this

(mobo - blue end) |-------|200 gb (slave) -------------|30 gb (master)

Ollie123
28-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Thats how it is connected up at the moment.

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Well it sounds like u havent

Configured the jumper on the 200 GB as slave, or u havent put primary ide slave on AUTO in the BIOS.

Or the IDE cable you're using, is 1/2 dead. Try another IDE cable.

If the 200 GB isnt being detected and the 30 GB is getting identified/detected by the BIOS.

Make SURE u put the jumper to master on the 30 GB and the jumper to slave on the 200 GB... DON'T leave both on master or slave. You'll never get both to work.

Are both hdd's on the primary ide connection??

Ollie123
28-06-2005, 10:01 PM
OK, shall try another cable and check the jumpers. They seem to be on the primary because the 2 optical drives are using the secondary.

Thanks alot for your help.

Ollie123
29-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Ok, they are both accually working now but in computer managment the new drive only shows up as 128GB.
I tried to install windows SP1 off one of the PCmag disks but an error message came up saying that the previous version of windows has an invalid product key number.

Is there any way I can get around this.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2005, 09:15 PM
That means you're using a pirated / corp version of XP.

Ollie123
29-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, thought so. Any other way to make it realise that the drive is 200GB, not 128GB?

bartsdadhomer
29-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, thought so. Any other way to make it realise that the drive is 200GB, not 128GB?
Buy a legal copy of XP and change the serial number, then install SP2 and the 200GB will be all yours :rolleyes:

Ollie123
30-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Ok then, have just spent an hour or so sorting out that problem and now have succeded in installing Service pack 1.
In Computer Managment the new drive is now recognised as 186GB which is better but still not right.
Any more things that would fix this??
Mabey installing Service Pack 2?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2005, 08:51 AM
You wont get all of a 200GB. 186GB maybe all you'll get.

bartsdadhomer
30-06-2005, 09:48 AM
My 200GB Slave shows 186.31GB
This normal and you can't do anything about it