PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows Xp on my new computer

shomenno
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Hello

I plan to build my own PC from sourced parts, however I am wanting to reuse my original version of Wondows XP Home which I bought along with my old PC I am replacing. The version is original and registered to me and was not part of a bundled package like one would receive from Dell computers etc - ie it is a proper/dedicated windows disc.

My question is this, while this is registed to me, it is never the less registered to my old computer (which will no longer be operable). I know XP takes a snap shot of the computer, so when I try to register or download updates it is likely to cause problems. I imagine there is some way to get arround this as I will still be the original owner and will also be only using this on one computer - my new one.

Finally, does anyone know if Foxconn motherbaords are any good?

Regards Shomenno

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2005, 08:24 PM
It might work (activate), if its been 120 days since u installed XP on the old one.

If not just ring MS and explain what happened

Cant say I've heard of Foxconn mobos, just power supplies.

You shouldnt have a prob if it activates after u install it.

And shouldnt have any probs getting updates unless, its pirated, which it isnt.

shomenno
05-04-2005, 08:26 PM
oh definately been over that time period... probably about two years now since I originally activated it.

Thanks

Metla
05-04-2005, 08:56 PM
It makes little difference,at worst you will have to spend 6 minutes on the phone to MS to activate it.

Myth
05-04-2005, 09:00 PM
You will run into problems with your Operating system if it is still installed on your old computer which is still accessing the Net.
XP is quite finnicky about having more than one computer using the same product key from the same disc AT THE SAME TIME.

Other than that, it should be all good.

As for Foxconn, sorry, only heard of the cases, not mobos

pctek
05-04-2005, 09:00 PM
It actually doesn't do a snapshot. Just when you ring MS for the activation, they'll see it was done already and ask why you're doing it again. You tell them you are reinstalling. SImple.
As for Foxconn - nah - get an ASUS.