PDA

View Full Version : Format drive after migrating data

eds
05-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I have migrated my data from one drive to another on the same PC. After checking everything out the past month I am now ready to format the "old" drive. However, I cannot as it seems to be in use although I do boot from the new drive. Attempting to format the drive via "DOS" is also not possible either. Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eds

FoxyMX
05-04-2005, 05:23 PM
What version of Windows are you planning to install?

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2005, 05:31 PM
You could put the old hdd in as a slave and put primary slave on AUTO in the BIOS. Then boot from the new hdd.

Then u can format the old hard drive. BUT it depends on what u copied from the old to the new hdd. Did u copy Windows from the old hdd to the new?? or reinstall Windows again on the new hard drive??

I take it you have 2 hard drives now then??

Myth
05-04-2005, 05:34 PM
I would try manually changing the drives around .. i.e. change the old master to slave and vice versa. Ensure it boots up ok, then try formatting

Side note: I need to learn how to type quicker, 3 times today someone else has posted what I was gonna say

Graham L
05-04-2005, 05:38 PM
The old disk was the boot disk, so its "boot sector" is probably still being used. :(

If you have XP, try booting from the installation CD and using the Repair functions to "fix" the boot sector of the new disk. (You might have to unplug the old one to do this ... I don't know.) If you have Windows9x or Me just boot with the CD and boot to DOS/. FDISK /MBR should fix up the new disk,as long as it's Master.

eds
05-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Speedy, I copied everything including WXP (SP2) form the old to the new drive. Not long ago I have re-installed/did a repair of WXP on the new drive in an attempt to get back the Restore function which I lost a while ago- this worked and I re-installed SP1 and SP2 as well. Yes, I have two drives on my PC. The new one is a SATA drive.

Graham, I think you're right. The boot sector of the old drive is still being used.

Thanks, guys. I have not tried formatting again.

eds
08-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I can change my old drive to slave but my new SATA hardrive is 3rd IDE Master. I am not sure how to proceed from there. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2005, 03:29 PM
The SATA sounds like its onboard thats why its 3rd master.
You can't put a slave on a SATA (If its an IDE hdd). It'll have to go on the primary IDE connection as a slave.