PDA

View Full Version : Avast anti virus

kjaada
05-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Why do I hear no mention or read anything about Avast free anti virus app?
I have been running it for 2 years with excellent results and great service.

Robby
05-04-2005, 09:37 AM
gidday,

It gets mentioned now and again in this forum, this is a good free
antivirus program, for sure, but it has a tendency to slow computers down,
it did when I tested it sometime ago, and was the reason, I went back to avg. I see they are saying the latest has a smaller footprint, hopefully this will stop the bogging down. will wait and see.

cheers,

Robby

KiwiTT_NZ
05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I use it now and the web proxy filter is a nice extra feature.

sal
05-04-2005, 11:23 AM
After going 3 months on broadband without av or even seperate firewall software I installed this a week ago. So far its been OK. all its picked up are trojans in txt files in the temp internet files(??).

kakapo
05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
I've been using Avast for quite a while and like it very much, especially the web shield. Their forums are helpful too.
You don't hear about it a lot down here, but it's popular in Europe. Any reviews that have been written have compared Avast with other AVs while using OLD versions of Avast (which makes the results pretty useless and confusing.) Avast is not as popular as the Big Name AVs but IMHO is every bit as good; updates are regular, support is good and it's easy to use (but read the help manual anyway!).
Avast just got another VB100 award in the latest Virus Bulletin comparative test (April 2005, RedHat Linux) which is all good.
Might be a good time for NZ PC World (great mag that!) to test it??
Happy days to all
kakapo

FoxyMX
05-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I changed to Avast on my main computer last November after AVG caused me significant grief with sending emails.

Neil McC
05-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I was using it for a while until I bought Nod 32.

Murray P
06-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I trialed it but found it slowed my system down plus a cou[ple of other glitches, all probably specific to my PC.

I purchased Nod 32 and haven't looked back.

SMs
06-04-2005, 11:40 AM
A while back I enquired about another AV and was recommended to use Avast. Love it, better than the new AVG
John