PDA

View Full Version : "Refurbished PC's"

russell108
05-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Hi,
a word of warning about 'bargain' pcs

My Initial machine was 400 pounds for a 3ghz pentium base unit

it soon had to be replaced for not booting up etc ,my replacement now is giving me problems too

...had to install linux to get windows to boot up ?(yeah work that one out)
after that i reinstalled windows altogether and everything seemed ok

Now tho it has started saying BIOS ROM check sum error

this only happens if after a couple of hours use i shut down then maybe 20mins later try to boot up.

I have to leave the machine for an hour or so before it will boot again :(

Is overheating occuring or should i just ask for my money back?

beama
05-04-2005, 08:00 AM

this only happens if after a couple of hours use i shut down then maybe 20mins later try to boot up.

In my experance this error indicates that the cmos battrey needs replacing.
Normally if there is overheating the machine, will shut itself down as a means of protecting the hardware from damage, to check for overheating and if you haven't got software monitoring software (can be unreliable) reboot and check the temps in the bois under pc health. remember both these methods of checking temps are only indicators but may help in your trouble shooting. But if the machine is still under warrenty yes then take it back get them to sort it out.

Greg
05-04-2005, 08:10 AM

Is overheating occuring or should i just ask for my money back?

Can't explain the error message, but the symptoms sure are of overheating. Can you confirm that the heatsink and fan are correctly attached to the cpu? Problem of course is that it may not be immediately apparent - a cowboy operator may have omitted any thermal material on the heatsink.

somebody
05-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Send if back - if it's still under warranty that is. Even when they replace your PC with a refurbished on, the refurbished one should still work.

Graham L
05-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Russel: It shouldn't be behaving like that. Although it is a "bargain" price, it is still expected to work.

"Refurbishing" can be just external cleaning, and a test that the computer will boot and run long enough to remove data..;) The computers are often removed from service from a commercial installation who just replace all their computers at once. So there's nothing inherently wrong with them ... in some ways they should be "better than new" because they have had the early failures weeded out. The vendors get them cheap enough that they can afford replace any which do fail in their new life. Perhaps third time lucky.

Installing Linux to get a boot manager is a bit extreme, but an ingenious solution. :thumbs:

russell108
05-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Could overheating be occuring because i enabled Hyper threading in the BIOS ?

The cpu is a pentium 3GHZ with HT but HT was disabled in the BIOS so i enabled it ?....the damn company is not respomding to my emails either :mad:

Myth
05-04-2005, 11:01 PM
If what the following link says is true, I would take the computer back

Checksum Errors (http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER03-c.html)

And then there was this...

'BIOS ROM checksum error narrows it down pretty conclusively. Two possible problems, three possible solutions.

1. If the error is due to corrupted code in the BIOS chip, try re-flashing the BIOS. If you can do that, reflashing should correct the corrupted code. (If it's too badly damaged you might not be able to re-flash, in which case you'll need either a replacement BIOS ROM chip from the motherboard manufacturer, or a new motherboard.)

2. If the error is due to a physical damage in the BIOS chip itself, reflashing, even if it allows to to re-flash it, won't cure the problem, and you need a new BIOS chip or motherboard.'

Greg
06-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Could overheating be occuring because i enabled Hyper threading in the BIOS ?

No.

Greg
06-04-2005, 09:29 AM
try re-flashing the BIOS.
I'd caution against that - it could in all probability void his warranty.

bartsdadhomer
06-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Having dealt with this problem many times in the past it is invariably a corrupt BIOS and not your fault.
Backup anything you can't afford to lose and get a replacement board
In my experience the problem will be intermittent for a while then it will be fatal and you will never get it to boot up again.
I agree with Greg, unless you get written permission from your supplier and an agreement that they will replace the board if the flash fails, don't flash the BIOS.
You will most likely lose use of the computer for 3 - 4 wks while it is returned to the manufacturer for repair, if it was me I'd buy another board in the meantime (they're cheap enough) and keep the repaired/replacement for a spare or sell it.

Myth
06-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Hmmm maybe I shoulda edited my last post before posting.
I just copy and pasted what was in the quotes which was from another forum.

Don't flash the bios.

One more thing, Where abouts do you live (PM me with the reply, because if you are in London, I have a techie mate over there who can help :))

Graham L
06-04-2005, 05:07 PM
The "checksum error" is usually a warning that the saved (user-changeable) settings in the BIOS memory are corrupted. A checksum is calculated on the registers and saved when you "save and exit" from the setup routine. It is calculated and compared with the saved value at an early stage of the POST.