PDA

View Full Version : Hard Modem or Soft Modem

chinadoll
02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi,
Can anyone help me on Modem Card ?
I am thinking of getting a new modem card but can not understand the advantage between two of them.
What I want is a good and reliable modem for my new p4 LGA 775 computer.

pctek
02-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Shouldn't matter what you get.

HArdware modem has its own chipsets, software modem uses the CPU in your PC. Linux has problems with software modems, so do any PCs older than a Pentium II>

So whatever you like will be fine

beama
02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Basiclly a Soft modem has no controller chip therefore all the processing is done by the pc cpu

If the pc you are buying for is an older one or you may be migrating to Linux save yourself a lot of frustration and get a hard modem.

Soft modems are good for modern pc's as there is a lot of spare cpu processing cycles unless you are using a TRUE multi tasking OS.

Prescott
02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
getting an external modem or a hardmodem (same diff) could be an advantage in a rural area, they are able to keep a good connection longer and with better performance.

PaulD
02-04-2005, 01:31 PM
The Soft modem doesn't have the DSP (digital signal processing) chip. Both types use drivers in the PC operating system as the controller. You can get a Genius modem with DSP for $27 or so. I have a similar one made by Lectron that works well.

lightfoot
02-04-2005, 05:58 PM
You can go to trademe or trade and exchange to get a second hand cheap.