PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free Update Problems?

Tony
02-04-2005, 11:02 AM
As at 09:55 on Sat 2 April I'm not able to update my AVG definitions. AVG recognises there is a definition available, but fails when trying to download. This happens on two different PCs.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

It might be me, as I have just installed an ADSL router, so it maybe the firewall, but I thought I would ask before I start digging into things I am not an expert in. :blush:

TIA.

Safari
02-04-2005, 11:06 AM
If you are getting a server busy message then this is happening to a lot of people otherwise I suspect it is a problem at your end.

mark c
02-04-2005, 11:10 AM
How about that.

I've just been trying to updtae my AVG and it kept blowing up so I thought I'll go and what's going on at my fave forum and there it is in Number One.

Tony
02-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't get a specific server busy message. It just makes several attempts to connect and then craps out. I've never seen this before which is why I wondered if it might be me.

drcspy
02-04-2005, 11:12 AM
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Updates

try there

FoxyMX
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Just tried updating the other PC and it timed out so it is not just you. It does this every now and then so don't worry about it. Try again later this afternoon/evening/tomorrow.

TonyF
02-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Mine fired up at 10.14, DL 3 Kb and halted. Has just DL the remainder - quite small. Their end ..

Safari
02-04-2005, 11:44 AM
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Updates

try there

Updates for AVG free edition are at this site.
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

AVG are not making things easy for people using the free edition, they have reduced the number of servers available for updates and it is even very difficult to find reference to the free edition on their main website.
It is listed under products though.

Metla
02-04-2005, 11:54 AM
I get the updates and program files from Majorgeeks.

Also grab the latest spybot and Ad-awere definitions at the same time.

Every monday morning......

drcspy
02-04-2005, 03:33 PM
actually there are two updates relevant to avg7 free and they're on that page i posted.........anyway...lots of help here that's good.......i most often download the updates for later use anyway

FoxyMX
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I get the updates and program files from Majorgeeks.
The definition updates from Majorgeeks are only of any use if they are all installed incrementally. For example if you install a fresh copy of AVG you can't just pop in the latest update file and be protected, you have to install all the other incremental updates first.

Getting the program files from Majorgeeks is useful though.

Tony
02-04-2005, 03:46 PM
actually there are two updates relevant to avg7 free and they're on that page i postedI got them from there thanks. Good to know it wasn't just my bumbking incompetence for a change... :)

Metla
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
The definition updates from Majorgeeks are only of any use if they are all installed incrementally. For example if you install a fresh copy of AVG you can't just pop in the latest update file and be protected, you have to install all the other incremental updates first.

Getting the program files from Majorgeeks is useful though.

i get the program files and updates,hence I always have the latest build and updates......This is for machines I service during the week.............

Tony
02-04-2005, 06:21 PM
my bumbking incompetence for a change... :)Doh! BUMBKING????=bumbling (as I'm sure you all realized).

braindead
03-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Sometimes AVG's servers are really busy. The server for the free edition is usually slower than for the paid version. If a thousand people try and download updates at the same time = logjam. Best to try later. I've also had to install AVG from scratch, when something's got corrupted, which is a bummer if there are a lot of updates and you're on 56k :)