PDA

View Full Version : Best Internal DVD Writer with Dual Layer and Dual Format

ahd8888
01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone, if u have about $200. Which Internal DVD Writer with Dual Layer and Dual Format would u go for? Sony, Pioneer, Lite-On, Samsung. Let's have a vote here. Please state yr model # if u can.

I start 1st - I choose Pioneer Dual Layer DVR109 DVD/R/RW 16X
Reason: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=12802&PageId=0

:)

Speedy Gonzales
01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
I use the ASUS 1604P burner myself.

Altho, I havent used DL dvds on it yet. Just normal DVD's.

Chilling_Silence
01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I wouldnt specifically look for Dual-Layered....

I bought a Toshiba/Samsung TS5552 or something (I dont even like it) and its supposed to be a pretty respectable writer. Its incredibly picky about the media it uses....

It sucks in comparison to my cheapo Optorite DD0201 single-layered 4x DVD+/-RW which burns perfectly with pretty much all media :)

Murray P
01-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Whatever NEC is the current model, the Pioneer actually uses the NEC chip with their own firmware and board.

These days, you'll be hard pressed to buy a reasonabley good DVD drive which does not have dual layer, of course you don't have to use that capability.

PaulD
01-04-2005, 04:19 PM
$130 will get you a Benq 1620 with Nero. What extra do you get by paying any more?

pctek
01-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone, if u have about $200. Which Internal DVD Writer with Dual Layer and Dual Format would u go for? Sony, Pioneer, Lite-On, Samsung. Let's have a vote here. Please state yr model # if u can.

I start 1st - I choose Pioneer Dual Layer DVR109 DVD/R/RW 16X
Reason: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=12802&PageId=0

All of the above except Samsung.
If you are going to play games on this PC - make sure the wriiter is a 2 sheep writer. Otherwise it can have trouble reading certain copy protections.
The Pioneer and Liteon are 2 sheep - don't know about the Sony.
Asus is only 1 sheep.
(The sheep refers to a standard used by CloneCD - its just how good it reads the protection - nothing to do with lamb chops)

Jeremy
01-04-2005, 04:23 PM
LG are good. Last time I looked the benq was the pick of the bunch though. But I don't like benq.

PaulD
01-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Why don't you like Benq? Reputations are only useful for the current product because everything can change for better or worse. Give some brands a few months and the actual manufacturer can change several times.

John D
01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I wouldnt specifically look for Dual-Layered....

I bought a Toshiba/Samsung TS5552 or something (I don't even like it) and its supposed to be a pretty respectable writer. Its incredibly picky about the media it uses....

It sucks in comparison to my cheapo Optorite DD0201 single-layered 4x DVD+/-RW which burns perfectly with pretty much all media :)

I'm gona go along with Chill on this one, I have to be honest on this though I did buy on price. But to be fair I've had nothing but very good results from other Samsung products.
Yeah the burner is very fussy on media and even then it's up and down on quality.

Question for Chill, I've found imation and even the SKC from the Warehouse to give reasonable results. What have you used and tried??
I'm thinking I'll ditch the Samsung.

So its not getting the vote from me.

Cheers John.

KatiMike
01-04-2005, 09:35 PM
very happy with ...

LG Electronics GSA-4163BK, Dual Layer DVD Writer, DVD 16R/16W/5RAM/8RW, CD 40R/40W/24RW, Internal, IDE, Black
$164

Chilling_Silence
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
JohnD:
After a firmware upgrade to v5 (Im pretty sure v6 is out thou now) its burned the CMC 8x media from QMB.co.nz with ease, and loves it to bits!

Plays on all but a mates cheapo Woolworths-sold DVD Player. My Optorite burns will play on it, but its sketchy to say the least. Definately just a cheap player.

Try the CMC disc's after a firmware upgrade and you may be pleasantly surprised!! :)

Big John
02-04-2005, 08:28 PM

I have a LG one for the simple reason that it can do all 3 standards. DVD+, DVD-, and DVD-RAM.

Use it heaps for transferring stuff from my Panasonic Video recorder to my PC for archiving and watching later.

John D
02-04-2005, 09:24 PM
JohnD:
After a firmware upgrade to v5 (Im pretty sure v6 is out thou now) its burned the CMC 8x media from QMB.co.nz with ease, and loves it to bits!

Plays on all but a mates cheapo Woolworths-sold DVD Player. My Optorite burns will play on it, but its sketchy to say the least. Definitely just a cheap player.

Try the CMC disc's after a firmware upgrade and you may be pleasantly surprised!! :)

Thanks for the info Chill , I shop at QMB my self (Samsung DVD burner was cheap at Xmas time couldn't resist)
And yes I have upgraded to the new firmware v6 with no noticeable effect but to be fair I've haven't been too keen on too many trial's on different media yet.
Princo suck completely on the Samsung. I've noticed the CMC media at QMB, I'll give them ago.

Cheers Chill. John.