PDA

View Full Version : Multi-user email client

Roger99
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I am looking for an email client for use on a LAN, that will download email messages from our MDaemon email server and then allow simultaneous access to the same messages from two different workstations.

I know that something like MS Exchange could handle this, but this is way outside of our budget.

I have tried Pegasus (crashed repeatedly), MailCOPA (far too slow and clunky) and I am know trying - with little success - to get the TheBat! running in multi-user mode.

Does anyone else have experience in doing something like this, and if so, what did you end up using?

pctek
01-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Er, I may be on the wrong track but if you want more than one person to be able to view the email, why not just use an IMAP account?

Roger99
01-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, pctek.

I'm not that familar with IMAP, so I'm unsure exactly what it can do.

What we hope to achieve is to have one operator printing out incoming messages, marking them as read, and then sorting them into category folders on her workstation. A second operator on another workstation would type replies, using the sorted messages for reference when required, and occasionally searching for sent or received messages of up to three months old.

Would IMAP handle this?

pctek
01-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Hmm. All IMAP (as opposed to POP3) does is have the mail stay on the server and therefore more than one person can download them. With POP3 once its downloaded to a particular PC, thats it, its gone off the server.
Seems a bit clunky, one person prints and sorts, another replies?
But someone else here may have a btter solution for you, its not really my area.