PDA

View Full Version : Passport Pic - Digital Cam

dodge2005
31-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi,
This might be a dumb question but i just want to clarify as i will need to take a pic for someone.

Is it possible to take passport pic to say a exact specification of :
320 pixels high by 240 pixels wide and have color depth of 24 bits.

OR take a picture with digital camera, when printed will be 50mm X 50mm. Is this quite easy with digital camera?

Thanks

Murray P
31-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi,
This might be a dumb question but i just want to clarify as i will need to take a pic for someone.

Is it possible to take passport pic to say a exact specification of :
320 pixels high by 240 pixels wide and have color depth of 24 bits.

OR take a picture with digital camera, when printed will be 50mm X 50mm. Is this quite easy with digital camera?

Thanks

Yes to both. Just let who ever is printing it resize to passport spec's, no need to adjust the camera. You could resize it yourself but no point if a shop is printing for you.

Jen
31-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Just remember that an image of 50mm x 500mm is no longer in the normal image ratio of 1.3:1 (height, width) so you might get distortion. If you require this measurement it is best to crop the image to this size rather than resize it. A 320 px high x 240 px wide image still maintains the 1.3:1 ratio so won't be a problem. :)

johnd
31-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Just a word of warning - they seem to require quite a high standard of print quality. I had mine rejected when I thought they were OK.

dodge2005
31-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks Jen,

I just need to take one from digital camera to meet either of these specs:
320 pixels high by 240 pixels wide.
240 pixels high by 320 pixels wide.

Or i can go for the option of scanning passport photo to be: 50mm X 50mm (2 inches X 2 inches). I had problem of distortion with scanned one as resizing a passport photo (NZ standard) made the pic look being squashed. The problem is that the specs are in US thats why the standard ones i try to resize give me a little headache.

Thas why i am opting to go for Digital camera. And i have looked at getting Canon PowerShot S70. Is this a good camera not just for taking passport pic but giving a above average quality pics?

JohnD, how did you know that they were not of the right quality??
I thought as long as it passed the verification online, there was no other way of knowing it wa snot good enough. Do you have any tips on quality.

Thanks Guys :-)

Nomad
01-04-2005, 12:30 AM
I got mine done for a family member for a NZ passport, was fine. It was a dSLR but any pocket cam should be fine.

Read the info re: the passport of the size required. I don't know the size required. Just measured my passport its 35mmx45mm at 300 dpi. On Photoshop it says 531 x 413 pixels.

Work in the max quality mode and play around on the PC. Crop for the perspective you need and resize it if you want. You may want to resize it urself so the print charges are less.. ie.. you can put 6 passport photo on one 6x4 inch print. So you just pay for one 6x4 inch print. Come home and you can cut it out yourself.

I personally would give them a TIF 8 bit file. Not all labs support 16 bit.

If you want 50x50 mm. Then use this 591 x 591 pixels (specify 6x4 300 dpi so you can fit 6 foto in one print). When resizing down, take care to use fix proportions so you dont skew the photo. If need be let one side if its a bit off ... NZ Internal Affairs always trim the photo by a bit. Use digicam the flatbed scanner isn't going to be up to it....

I just read you dont yet have a digicam, try it out. My v old scanner was v soft for some prinouts when I scanned 400 dpi and printed 1:1. For my old scanner for passport purposes I doubt it would be accepted.

somebody
01-04-2005, 08:42 AM
They require a printed file, not a digital file. It would be best to take the highest-resolution photo your camera can handle, and the crop it to the size specified on the passport application form. Then print it on quality photo paper (the stress that it must be semi-gloss or gloss paper).

johnd
02-04-2005, 12:22 AM
JohnD, how did you know that they were not of the right quality??
I thought as long as it passed the verification online, there was no other way of knowing it wa snot good enough. Do you have any tips on quality.

Thanks Guys :-)

I didn't know anything about on-line verification. They got returned saying that the quality was not good enough. Can't remember the exact details - they did look minorly grainy but not too bad to me!!

Murray P
02-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Take your images in to a reputable photo processing shop and ask them to provide passport prints/contacts, they wil know what to resize to (resize, crop, rescale, canvass, reduce, sheesh!) to ggive the right result.

The cost diff of doing that as compared to printing your own is negligible especially when possible rejections are taken in to account. They'll probably even take the photo and produce the prints for less $$ and hassel than you can. :thumbs: