PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream Disconnection every 15 min?

hkan008
28-03-2005, 10:53 PM
I am leaving in Howick and find that Jetstream Xtra is abit unstable. I am using a DLINK 302G and monitoring the system view page. I can see that the connection is dropped every 15 minutes or so.. then it takes around 2 to 3 minutes to pick up the new connection. Anyone experiencing the similar?

bk T
29-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Welcome to PressF1.

1. Do you have any other phone/fax machines connected to the same phone socket outlet? Are they connected through the line-filter?

2. Try to unplug all those phone/fax machines (if any) and connect your ADSL router direct to the wall socket outlet and monitor the connection.

3. Let us know the outcome.

Cheers

hkan008
29-03-2005, 06:59 PM
1. Do you have any other phone/fax machines connected to the same phone socket outlet? Are they connected through the line-filter?

Nope.

2. Try to unplug all those phone/fax machines (if any) and connect your ADSL router direct to the wall socket outlet and monitor the connection.

No devices connected to the filiter.

3. Let us know the outcome.
Negative.

It is very suprising it happens more often in the last few days. This afternoon I have been disconnected more than 5 times within 2 hours. Rang Xtra Helpdesk and what they asked is to reset the modem by unplugging the power but even I do this I have been keep kicked off from the connection. It also takes more than 5 minutes to do the hand-shaking, Auth process (sometime it said Auth Failure too but obviously after few tries it just works fine)

From the log, I can see the following:

Tue Mar 29 17:36:32 2005 : MAJOR ALARM : Failed To Get IP Address : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 29 17:36:32 2005 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 29 17:36:32 2005 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=100
Tue Mar 29 17:36:32 2005 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 29 17:36:32 2005 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down

Rpg_pro
29-03-2005, 10:12 PM
I had the same problem with that EXACT modem, it would disconnect a lot, sometimes within a few mins. What i did to fix it is i got so angry that i threw it at the wall :angry Breaking it :badpc: . Then i Brought one of those DSE brand 4 port routers and my internet has worked flawless since. :thumbs:

Renmoo
29-03-2005, 10:21 PM
What i did to fix it is i got so angry that i threw it at the wall :angry Breaking it :badpc: .
Ahhhhhh, violence! Can't stand violence! Anyway, does installation of firewall matters in this case? Cheers :)

Rpg_pro
29-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't think so. I just brought a new modem and it worked fine.

bk T
29-03-2005, 10:30 PM
I think you should request Telecom to check your phone line. I came across 2 similar problems (having the same router from Telecom) and after Telecom has cleared the phone line, the connection is good as gold.

By the way, is the DSL light (on the router) always on or blinking?

But you should be aware that Telecom is only responsible up to the box outside your house, though.

Also, if you can get hold of another router (known to be good) and plug it in to your phone line to test the connection - to rule out router problem.

Cheers

Prescott
30-03-2005, 06:22 PM
get a new modem, a well known brand so you can get drivers easy and try and get one with a built in firewall.

dolby digital
30-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I am leaving in Howick and find that Jetstream Xtra is abit unstable. I am using a DLINK 302G and monitoring the system view page. I can see that the connection is dropped every 15 minutes or so.. then it takes around 2 to 3 minutes to pick up the new connection. Anyone experiencing the similar?

I use a 302G and it is as reliable as anything. Do you know how far you are from your exchange. I'm wondering if you are in a fringe area, whether it can cause dropped connections. I have a friend who is having similar problems and its not the router/modem (they use a Dlink wireless router/modem now, a DSE one previously; they both drop connections there, but the DSE router works fine here).

bk T
30-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Dlink 302G is quite a good and reliable ADSL router.

There's nothing wrong with this model - very easy to setup and stable. If you think the fault is with the router, ring up telecom and get it replaced.

I still think that it is advisable to get Telecom to check the phone line first.

Cheers

hkan008
31-03-2005, 09:26 PM
I know it is not a DSL a very good brand as I read lots of comments from different forums..

DSL Light is always on, when it is conneected. Worse thing is that even you got drop off it takes few minutes before it picks up a new connection!

I am sure it is not the noise as I can't hear anything on the phone. So it is the Telcom that has to contacted not Xtra?

BkT: what was the problem tha tyou had with your phone line?

Murray P
31-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Was it a self install or did you get the full Telecom installation. If the later then the Telecom's responsiblity does not end at the termination point on the outside of the house, especially if you pay Telecom the Maintenance fee (look on your bill).

Check you firewall logs and, if you have Win2k or XP, your event logs.

I'm not familiar with that router, although D-Link have had their issues, but "ATM Interface Down" & "DSL Interface Down" suggest a problem with the connection.

bk T
31-03-2005, 10:00 PM
I know it is not a DSL a very good brand as I read lots of comments from different forums..

DSL Light is always on, when it is conneected. Worse thing is that even you got drop off it takes few minutes before it picks up a new connection!

I am sure it is not the noise as I can't hear anything on the phone. So it is the Telcom that has to contacted not Xtra?

BkT: what was the problem tha tyou had with your phone line?

The problems that I encountered were intermitten (frequent) disconnection.

You may contact Xtra at 0800 738 738 , explain to them your problem and request for a line check. Please be aware that if the problem is with your internal wiring, you will have to pay them - (about $80.00 , not too sure).

Why not take your router (modem) to your friend's house (who has Jetstream installed and is functioning OK) and test it. If it works OK, then the problem is with the phone line. If it doesn't work, then it's the modem; then you should request for a replacement. Or you may borrow your friend's modem to your place to test it as mentioned above.

Request for a 'spliter installation' probably is another option but this costs you more money.

Good luck.

Murray P
31-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Please be aware that if the problem is with your internal wiring, you will have to pay them - (about $80.00 , not too sure).

Good luck.

We don't know if it will cost yet. Last time I had connection issues, Telecom paid because I pay the Line Maintenance fee. If it was Telecom who botched the installation, then it is also they who pay, proving it may be a bit problematical though. If Hkan800 could get back to us with the installation info, we'd be able to narrow down which tree to bark up ;)

Testing the router elsewhere, with a different exchange even, is worth a crack.

hkan008
31-03-2005, 10:19 PM
I joined xtra when they had the free connection offer. When I moved in to this house jetstream is available in the area and I just hooked the modem up.

I am paying the line maintenance cost may get telecom to check that up and see.

PS Nothing specific in the eventlog. I dont have firewall installed..

Here is the latest drop..

Tue Mar 29 17:55:22 2005 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=100
Tue Mar 29 17:55:22 2005 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 29 17:55:22 2005 : STATUS ALARM: PPP Event: LCP: Sending Terminate Req.
Tue Mar 29 17:55:22 2005 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 29 17:55:22 2005 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down

Murray P
31-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Get a firewall.

I assume your using ethernet and not USB to connect your PC to the router.

I still supect it's not your end but, what are you doing when you get the disconnections, downloading, downloading and uploading perhaps?

hkan008
01-04-2005, 10:36 PM
What does a firewall can do to stop disconnection?

Rang xtra and they are going to get a technian to have a look. Suprisingly with a 500k download test my line can go up to 800k per second..

hkan008
04-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Disappointed results after the line checkup.. Nothing wrong with the line.... now suspecting with the modem.. Telecom going to exchange for a new one...now is DLINK really a good brand to go with? The telecom technican was given a dynalink for testing...

hkan008
13-04-2005, 10:54 AM
New modem hasn't arrived.. but what I noticed is the line has stablised (as few people pointed out, somethign happened after the line check and it fixed itself...)

One fun thing that I notice is, xtra helpdesk has changed their welcome message for xtra jetstream connection, telling people if they have problem with modem, turn that off, wait for 3 minutes and turn that back on. If persisits, stay on the line... .

It seems that xtra has a large volume of calls on this?? ANyone?

dolby digital
13-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Disappointed results after the line checkup.. Nothing wrong with the line.... now suspecting with the modem.. Telecom going to exchange for a new one...now is DLINK really a good brand to go with? The telecom technican was given a dynalink for testing...

I have installed a number Dlink routers and although I have no long term usage stats, they appear to be pretty reliable. My neighbour sent back a Dlink wireless router because it didn't appear to connect but I'm not totally sure it was the router itself.

residentevil
27-07-2006, 01:50 PM
From what I know the "LCP" mean's that telecom NZ has provisioned your adsl wrong, for instance if your line was "Accedently" disconnected by telecom and reconnected, they could have provisioned the line wrong or if they were doing work at your local exchange and they "Accdently" disconnected your Adsl they could have again provisioned your adsl wrong, you might want to check with telecom and make sure that you are provisioned for the right service and tunneled through to the right ISP, it's worh trying

SolMiester
27-07-2006, 02:33 PM
You havent got a house alarm have you, they check back to H/Q about every 15min, mate of mine fell for that one!!...LOL

linw
27-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Interesting revival of an old thread!

I now have two rev C 302g's. The first would periodically drop the PPP conection and not restart till I upgraded its firmware to XTRA's latest. It still drops the PPP connection now and then but it then re-establishes it. An improvement!

The latest one just locks up with no response. Sometimes all lights on, incl USB which is not connected. Upgraded its firmware but still it locks up. It doesn't get particularly hot but I have taken its lid off and will try it like that.

(BTW, it's not my line (has master filter) - other modems work fine on it).

The 302g saga continues!

pctek
27-07-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm agree with getting a replacement. Normally they're fine, but this one obviously has a problem. Doesn't make them a bad model.

Phil B
27-07-2006, 09:04 PM
I had the same problem with a DSE router, but after updating the firmware to the latest the connection is 100% + it now firewall tests at 100% stealth from the grc site. So maybe update your firmware if possible

PaulD
27-07-2006, 10:09 PM
You havent got a house alarm have you, they check back to H/Q about every 15min, mate of mine fell for that one!!...LOL

Once a day is realistic, what good would an alarm system be if it had to dial up every 15 minutes?