PDA

View Full Version : Older Motherboard large hard drive problems

DeSade
23-03-2005, 05:34 PM
I have a older asus MB running a celeron 333 chip one of those large cellphone sized chips, don't know what socket it is.

I'm trying to install a new Maxtor 80gb hdd as the primary master, there is no operating system loaded on this machine at this time. The HDD is on its own unshared cable and the jumper is set to master.

These are my problems.

The HDD won't detect at all

I can't get any of my boot discs working to give me a command prompt to load the manufacturers large hard drive support utilities

When I set the drive jumpers to slave it detects but hangs in the middle of it

I don't know what model of board it is to update the bios and I can't get to a command prompt to do so anyway.

Can anyone help?

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2005, 05:46 PM
What happens, when u put the primary ide master on AUTO in the BIOS??

Have you done this in the BIOS? (put the hdd u have on Master). And also connected the power to it.

Did u go into the BIOS and change the bootdisk to cd so u can boot off it??

That's if u have a bootable cd for whatever you're going to install on the hdd.

What version of Windows (if it's Windows) will u be installing?

Dannz
23-03-2005, 05:50 PM
What year was your motherbord made? as it might not support the large drive.

DeSade
23-03-2005, 05:52 PM
What happens, when u put the primary ide master on AUTO in the BIOS??

Nothing, the drive doesn't detect at all

Have you done this in the BIOS? (put the hdd u have on Master). And also connected the power to it.

Not quite with you here can you explain please

Did u go into the BIOS and change the bootdisk to cd so u can boot off it??

Yes

That's if u have a bootable cd for whatever you're going to install on the hdd.

The discs I was trying to use was a bootable disc with Maxtors disc utility on it and the standard win98se installation disc

What version of Windows (if it's Windows) will u be installing?

Win98se

DeSade
23-03-2005, 05:54 PM
What year was your motherbord made? as it might not support the large drive.

I don't know, at least 3 years old probably more, its not my machine and I have little information on it. I don't think it does support the large drives hence the reason for this post.

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Nothing, the drive doesn't detect at all

Not quite with you here can you explain please

If u put a hdd on Master, u also have to put it on AUTO (primary ide Master) in the BIOS, so the BIOS knows it exists. (And windows).

Well u have to connect a power connection to the cd or hdd. Did you connect a spare power connector from the power supply to the cd and hard drive? Put the hdd on Master IDE, and the cd on Secondary Master, or slave.

Yes

The discs I was trying to use was a bootable disc with Maxtors disc utility on it and the standard win98se installation disc

Boot from that cd. If this is the 98 SE CD. Change bootdisk to cd, then chuck the cd in. See if it boots from it.

Win98se[/QUOTE]

DeSade
23-03-2005, 06:18 PM
If u put a hdd on Master, u also have to put it on AUTO (primary ide Master) in the BIOS, so the BIOS knows it exists. (And windows).

Well u have to connect a power connection to the cd or hdd. Did you connect a spare power connector from the power supply to the cd and hard drive? Put the hdd on Master IDE, and the cd on Secondary Master, or slave.

Yes

Boot from that cd. If this is the 98 SE CD. Change bootdisk to cd, then chuck the cd in. See if it boots from it.

Win98se[/QUOTE]

All power connectors and ribbon cables are attached and attached correctally. when I select auto in the bios and set the jumper to master the hard drive isn't detected at all, when I set the jumper to slave it is there but hangs in the middle of the process every time.

Nothing will boot not my bootable cd's or my 98 boot floppy, I changed the boot order in the bios when I tried each and changed it back when it failed each time.

I think if I could only get the disc utility to boot then I can configure the disc from it and it should run. but nothing boots and I can't even get a command prompt.

Graham L
23-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Can you boot from a floppy with no CD drive or hard disk connected? If it won't do that we have problems. ;)

Try setting the drive's select jumper to "CS". Maybe it's a Cable Select cable. (That will require the CD drive to be on the other IDE cable).

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2005, 06:26 PM
OK. Well u would have to install DOS from floppy most probably to get a DOS prompt.

Since there's nothing on the hdd, and u cant get a prompt from an empty hdd.

I would reset the settings, in the BIOS if u can and start all over again.

Then just set the ide master and slave. Depending on where they r (Primary or secondary ide) etc.

And whatever else u have (If USB 2 is onbolard enable it in BIOS and the printer, if u have a printer). What does the post screen say, when u boot the system up?? Does it show what the BIOS has detected here? For the cd or hdd or anything else at all?

DeSade
23-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Can you boot from a floppy with no CD drive or hard disk connected? If it won't do that we have problems. ;)

We have problems......

pctek
23-03-2005, 06:55 PM
The motherboard will have a model number printed on it. Such as something like P2E-M or K7M.

However if you can't boot a floppy either then you won't be able to update the BIOS>

Was it a working board before the HDD transplant?

Try just plugging in the floppy drive only, no HDD or CD, no extra PCI cards etc. See if you can get that to work first.

DeSade
23-03-2005, 06:57 PM
The motherboard will have a model number printed on it. Such as something like P2E-M or K7M.

where on the board?

TonyA
23-03-2005, 08:50 PM
I had a very similar problem when I put a maxator drive in my older machine (PII-350) The only way I could install the drive was by upgrading the BIOS (flashing)

I had to find out who made the bios and what version it was (luckily gigabyte board was easy to find)

Then get the bios upgrade, have a couple of stiff drinks and flash the bios (If anything goes wrong here your MB will be fried)

After that the drive appeared in the bios and I used the maxator utility to copy the old to the new and then install the new drive as the master.

Hope this helps. I do remember getting help from web site but I cant remember which one.

Good Luck

pctek
23-03-2005, 10:11 PM
where on the board?

Either near the edge (one of the edges) sometimes in between PCI slots and AGP slot. Its usually fairly big compared to other text on it. Some boards don't but I haven't seen any ASUS boards without one

Or if it has the FCC number you could look it up that way.........

KatiMike
24-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi De Sade - you can get into the BIOS I gather - does the POST screen give you any idea about the mobo and/ or it's BIOS number [ f4 etc] ? Sometimes within the BIOS you can turn off fast POSTing / logo's etc so you can get a bit more info ? ; or just select "fail safe / default" or similar - save settings and exit
Bit grim if you can't get some activity from the FDD on startup if you've enabled it to boot before the HDD . I'd be tempted to try another [ known good ] FDD and be sure to connect pin1 near the red stripe , load up the win 98se boot disk and see if you get some action on a reboot ... :o

tinker
24-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Your bios probably has the 32Gb barrier, Click here for info (http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm)

The model number of the motherboard is generally printed on the board sometimes in between two of the lower PCI slots. Most asus boards have the model number printed on them somewhere.

If you cant find a bios update that fixes this issue the best way to overcome it is to buy a PCI IDE card click here for an example (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=115877)

Hope this info helps :thumbs: