PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP BADLY!!! :-(

maottik
22-03-2005, 03:44 AM
HELP! HELP! HELP! :dogeye:

Okay heres the deal I got a new computer (new to me) and it has an evaluation copy of server 2003 on it(126 days left). I don't want to buy server 2003 (I can't afford it anyways) and I would like to 'Downgrade to windows XP Pro'. when I put the windows XP pro CD in there is no option to upgrade OR clean install it just plain won't let me do it! And if I boot from the windows XP Pro CD I get stuck at the "Windows Licensing Agreement" Page, it says press F8 to agree and continue but it doesn't work!!! and it is NOT my keyboard, I have tried 4 diferent keyboards so that is NOT the problem.

In short the problem is I can't figure out how to clean install windows XP Pro form Server 2003.

Any input will GREATLY happyafie me!

-_-_-_- MaOtTiK _-_-_-_

Loppy
22-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Did you make sure you scrolled down to the bottom before pressing F8? (use pgdn or down arrow), i guess its to make sure that you actually read the licence. Hope that works !! :thumbs:

Jeremy
22-03-2005, 10:52 AM
First of all, please use more descriptive subject lines next time.

How does your keyboard connect to your computer? It could be an issue of a USB keyboard not being detected or similar.

maottik
22-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanx for the input... :thumbs:

... Yes I'v scrolled down to the bottem and that does not work. :(

... I have used 5 different keyboards with different kinds of connections/layouts.

I do not think the keyboards are the problem thanx anyways. :horrified

:help:
-_-_-_- MaOtTiK _-_-_-_

saikou
22-03-2005, 01:37 PM
You are not required to scroll down tho the bottom of the agreement on XP.

Seeing as Server adition installed fine, it looks like your hardware is ok.

Is this a purchased copy of XP?

Myth
22-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Any chance you can reformat the drive? (i.e. backup files you want to keep then reformat).
Use Partition Magic, or FDisk from Bootup might work

This page might help as well
Microsoft Support (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348)

maottik
22-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Heh heh, Tried that once bet I couldn't get windows to install so I installed Free-BSD instead.
Turns out Free-BSD ROCKS! Linux is very cool but I need Windows for work.
Thanx anyways but re-formating is out of the question.

-_-_-_- MaOtTiK _-_-_-_

Kame
22-03-2005, 04:14 PM
FreeBSD is actually more a Unix clone than a flavour of Linux.

I suggest formatting/fdisking/partitioning is the only way, cleanly remove the Operating System and then attempt to install Windows XP Pro (you say you can't afford server 2003?) anyways... do this, with a good original copy of XP and it should work fine.

There's no such thing as downgrading Windows, there aim is to progress on and on.

KK

p.s. reads the thread again