PDA

View Full Version : usb problem? maybe...

Ravage
21-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Howdy.

A friend of mine was trying to install a HP printer (can't remember model) to her HP pavilion 6701 running Win Me.
Following the instructions we inserted the installation cd (usb cable not inserted). Inserted cable when told but computer would not detect usb device (everything powerd up) in either onboard usb port. Possibly a defective cable? Will borrow another usb cable to test it.

I thought I would right click on my computer to bring up properties and check the usb controller in device manager, however no menu appeared when right clicking. Menu's appear when you right click other icons but not on my computer??? Any ideas?

I had a look at the HP site to troubleshoot usb ports and they recommend removing, then reinstalling the usb root controller, but of course I can't get into device manager to do so. Is there any other way to access device manager?

Also, how can you tell if it is a usb 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 port?
Does it matter? The printer is a relatively new model compared to the computer (also, the ram is only 64 MB at the moment, hope to increase soon) will this affect it's ability to detect usb devices?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Ravage

Murray P
22-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Device Manager, Control Panel > System > Device Manager or Hardware (not sure which, haven't used ME, shouldn't be too far away).

Try unistalling the printer/software, reload it, shutdown, plug USB in and boot up.

If the computer inly has USB 1.0, 1.1 and the printer is USB 2.0 it will just default to the speed the computer is capable of.

For USB troubleshooting, I've found USB Man (http://www.usbman.com/) and the links to be very helpfu, there's even an ME section just for you.

Ravage
22-03-2005, 02:31 AM
D'oh
I knew that about getting to device manager from the control panel.
How quickly one forgets the simplest things, when one needs them.
Bit strange how I can't access from "my computer" though?

Cheers
I'll check out that web site

Ravage

Jen
22-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Also, how can you tell if it is a usb 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 port?That website Murray linked to is great. There is also a section on how to How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support ( http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm)

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2005, 08:48 AM
If its like this one I use, an HP Photosmart, I installed the software, ticked where it said dont detect the printer, waited for the sw to install, then rebooted.

Then plugged the printer into the USB port.

Murray P
22-03-2005, 09:19 AM
If its like this one I use, an HP Photosmart, I installed the software, ticked where it said dont detect the printer, waited for the sw to install, then rebooted.

Then plugged the printer into the USB port.

Speedy ta, Ravage don't plug the USB in before you reboot, you might be reinstalling it all again :blush:

Ravage
22-03-2005, 11:13 AM
It does have an option to tick here to install without detecting printer.
I'll give it a go
cheers
Ravage