PDA

View Full Version : Fedora core 3

vanderneut
21-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi recently I installed this Linux OS, no problems there but after rebooting the PC I get the "grub>" promt. What do you type there to get the OS to start. This is my first attempt at installing Linux.
Hope you can help.
Regards Fons.

KatiMike
21-03-2005, 01:36 PM
This article is very helpful wrt installing FC3 , and gives good detail re configuring Grub [ dual boot]
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

Sounds like you've hit a snag...

I would recommend you boot off the Rescue Disc and see if that'll help. Failing that, re-insatll.

Your other data should still remain fine & in tact :)

Sam I Am
21-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Welcome,

Are you hitting any keys during the boot process? If you are then try just leaving it. If there are any error messages then let us know what thet are.

If your not hitting any keys then yeah A reinstall may help. The link above gives good instructions right from install onwards.

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2005, 05:56 PM
There are no error messages, just a grub> prompt.

This happens when it cannot find the specified kernel, leading me to believe that a reinstall is easiest fix.

Why this happened I dont know.

vanderneut
21-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks a lot, I printed the info from the webpage and will reinstall the OS following the instructions.
Regards

johnd
21-03-2005, 09:44 PM
I have had this happen a couple of times when reusing pre-existing partitions that had a previous version of Linux on them. Deleting all the Linux partitions and re-creating them during the install process seemed to fix the problem.