PDA

View Full Version : how to close a CD-rom drive.

robsonde
20-03-2005, 12:47 PM
what is the correct way to close a CD-Rom tray?

should you use the open/close button or should you just push the tray in a bit and then let it close.

which is right and which do YOU do?

will it damage it but pushing on the tray?

Jen
20-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I always use the open/close button so that I don't risk damaging the drive door mechanism. It can be a pain, because they put the button underneath the drive door which makes reaching it while open a tad awkward.

The fact the you can trigger the closing mechanism by pushing on the drive suggests it is OK to use, but still, more likely to possibly cause damage long term I guess.

Edward
20-03-2005, 01:06 PM
It depends on the drive.

My old 20x samsung works fine if you push the drive tray in, as does my Sony 52x CD-RW, however my BTC 52x dosen't

godfather
20-03-2005, 01:31 PM
I have never used the button.
Even on my first CD drive, and that is ages ago. Or on stand-alone DVD players / recorders
Never had a mechanism fail either, on around 12 different drives.

As Jen mentions, if it was not designed to correctly trigger the mechanism by gently pushing the door closed, why would they design it that way.

One here reminds me of Arkwright's till though, if you just touch it lightly it nearly takes your fingers with it as it quickly closes. Makes inserting a CD dangerous.

mister harbies
20-03-2005, 04:21 PM
You could go to "My Computer" and right click on the CD drive and select "eject", that might close your CD drive :D

But I just push the drive back in.... the mechanism does it all for me. I don't have good access to the button as it is almost against the wall.

Scouse
20-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Folks. My Computer, CD drive and Eject opens the drawer. My Computer, CD drive and Load closes the drawer. The menu alternates between Eject and Load. ;)

Prescott
20-03-2005, 07:08 PM
my dvd rom needs a real shove to close so i just use the button, but my cdrw just needs a tiny tap and it closes.....

Jen
20-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Another touch free way of opening and closing your CD drawer is to:

$ eject
$ eject -t

:p

Edward
20-03-2005, 09:11 PM
A correction: My BTC 52x reader can be closed by pushing on it- it just takes a good push though.

We apologise for any FUD this may have caused

pine-o-cleen
20-03-2005, 10:30 PM
One of my mates pushed in a cd drive on one of the pc's at polytech, really hard and fast...It made a satisfying 'whizzz' sound, and made a cool 'clickity clack' every time it was opened or closed from then on and didn't sit right.

It was the I decided to only ever press the button on mine. :D

xxll
21-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I have a small 'joke' program installed which opens and closes my cd/dvd drawer. It was a 135kb download and works well.

I made a keyboard shortcut to it, so ctr+alt+h opens a very small box in the current window, then I press Enter to open the drawer or tab+enter to close it.
Alternatively, there is an icon on the taskbar to mouse click on, then press enter or tab+enter.

The program was a joke called 'The Cupholder' and the options to open or close the drawer are labelled 'extend cupholder' and 'retract cupholder'

Here is the address of the free download. They state that you should check for viruses before any installation.

http://www.thepocket.com/selfstu.htm

It is listed alphabetically under the letter T, for 'The Cupholder'.

Safari
21-03-2005, 12:20 AM
I can open and close the CD drawer from the keyboard.
Mac innovation, I guess the rest will catch up eventually.

Greg
21-03-2005, 09:55 AM

It can be done in Windows too, but requires software (free) to map the appropriate keys

Edward
24-03-2005, 08:34 PM

As soon as the mac "inventors" devise a scroll button in the default mouses, then we'll talk. kthxbai