PDA

View Full Version : unknown problem with XP start up.

_david_
19-03-2005, 02:07 PM
hi team,

this morning i discoverd an error with our family computer. It is unable to fully start up. Everything goes past very quickly so it is hard to record any messages, but basically it starts its normal loading process but appears to be unable to detect the slave drive i think??

it does not get as far as the XP loading screen, just the first black screen that you see, mentioning the graphic card etc.

AVG is installed on the computer and fully up to date, i have no idea if a virus can cause this type of error?

The computer is an Athlon XP2500+ i believe and have SP2 installed.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks, have a good weekend.
dave.

pctek
19-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Well, where does it stop? Or does it just reboot?
If it stops whats the last thing?
Does it have an error there - has it hung at that point (cursor flashing or not at all?)
It should still boot to windows even if it lost the slave drive.

What was the last thing done nefore this happened? Something installed or uninstalled?

Can you boot into Windows if you use safemode? (Press F8 on boot to get that menu).

_david_
19-03-2005, 02:39 PM
hi,

it just keeps rebooting, i will try the safe mode option but i dont think it goes far enough to get to that. As far as i know nothing was installed or uninstalled/deleted before this happened. Just some emailing then logged off to the XP users screen.

dave.

pctek
19-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Hmmm. If you can't bring up the safemode menu screen, its got to be hardware related.
How old is the PC?
Possibly a PSU problem.......
Or maybe RAM.
Hard to know without any error - any beeps from the PC?

What if you go into the BIOS? If its power it should reboot form there after a bit even if you can't see any problem in there - something else to try anyway..

_david_
19-03-2005, 03:41 PM
alrighty,

ive checked out safe mode, i can get to the screen with all the safe mode options but its makes no difference which one i choose, it still just reboots. The computer is about a year old now. There arnt any beeps while it is trying to start up. In the brief moment that there is info on the screen it mentions something about IDE but its to fast to be able to read the rest.

tricky one huh, looks like ill be taking it in on monday i think.
dave.

Greg
19-03-2005, 06:17 PM
In the brief moment that there is info on the screen it mentions something about IDE but its to fast to be able to read the rest.

Press the pause key to pause it during the boot process

Prescott
19-03-2005, 06:41 PM
open case, take all the pci cards, ram and agp card and put in one by one and boot then add another and boot up again and so on, hopefully you can find a dodgie stick of ram or a card.

Poppa John
19-03-2005, 07:22 PM
What a pity you don't live in Wonderful Wanganui. There is a good computer fixer there. Pity about the pink fluffy slippers tho !! PJ :rolleyes:

pctek
19-03-2005, 08:41 PM
IDE? Go into the BIOS and see if all looks well - like it can see the HDD, CD drives etc.

_david_
19-03-2005, 11:12 PM
hi,

ill try pressing pause and copy down all the info tomorrow. im reluctent to open the case (dont know about these things and all the static etc..), report back in the morn.

dave.

_david_
20-03-2005, 11:45 AM
ok, ive taken down all the info:

Memory frequency is at 200 MHz
Primary master: Samsung SPO8O2N TU100-23
Primary slave: none
Secondary master: none
Secondary slave: Lite-on combo LTC-481611H KHOP

Secondary IDE Channel no 80 conductor cable installed.

anything there, doesnt look like it huh? :dogeye:
dave.

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2005, 11:49 AM
ok, ive taken down all the info:

Memory frequency is at 200 MHz
Primary master: Samsung SPO8O2N TU100-23
Primary slave: none
Secondary master: none
Secondary slave: Lite-on combo LTC-481611H KHOP

Secondary IDE Channel no 80 conductor cable installed.

anything there, doesnt look like it huh? :dogeye:
dave.

Maybe u need a different ide cable for the cd... Have u got one??

Its got a blue connection on the motherboard end.

Try putting the cd on Master. And change it to Master in the BIOS.

See if it makes any diff.

_david_
20-03-2005, 04:20 PM
hi,

the computer had been running fine before this happened so it couldnt be a cable problem could it?

I tried booting from the XP cd and it comes up with the option to install XP or recover a previous installation. If i was to reinstall XP, this would delete all documents, programmes that are on the computer ay?

is there any chance this could be a virus?

thanks,
dave.

_david_
24-03-2005, 09:51 AM
hi guys,

the unknown problem has been sorted. there was somesort of error being created between the graphics card (geforce fx something) and XP SP2. apparently the computer finally just gave up. Back in action now.

dave.