PDA

View Full Version : unwanted tc/ip connections

piva
19-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I have a program - an unwanted 'bar' trying to call out regularily (as soon as firefox initializes) .Its connections - sometimes several, are visible when I check using netstat -a. I have effectively killed it by putting in 'hosts' so it just connects to local host but I would like to kill it. Is there anything which will tell me what is making firefox to set up the connection.
I have run spybot, adaware and looked in all the usual places for dialers. CCcleaner doesnt show anything unusual and startup menu and 'run' in registry are not showing anything I dont expect. There dont appear to be any unexpected 'helpers' in the browser.
Any ideas would be appreciated
Piva

ninja
19-03-2005, 09:49 AM
I have a program - an unwanted 'bar' trying to call out regularily (as soon as firefox initializes) .Its connections - sometimes several, are visible when I check using netstat -a. I have effectively killed it by putting in 'hosts' so it just connects to local host but I would like to kill it.
How do you know it's a toolbar? And what host is it trying to connect to, might help identify it.

Rimu
19-03-2005, 01:18 PM
do a google for whatever the hostname is and see if you can find conversations about the same topic. you may have more luck in "google groups" than in the normal google search