PDA

View Full Version : Confused!!! Dunno whether to go in for a pentium M 1.6 or a p4 M 3.06

cbhuta
19-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Hey guys,

i'm in a fix! i've got these 2 notebooks n i can't decide which one to buy...

no.1: Pentium M 1.6 GHz, 512 DDR RAM, 60 GB HDD

no. 2: Pentium 4-M 3.06 GHZ, 512 DDR RAM, 40 GB HDD

i'm going to use the notebook for at least 5-6 hours a day, with office applications as well as music, imaging, movies etc.....i do a lot of multi tasking..
which one's faster?

considering they're the same price, which one would be ideally suited for me?

pixeldust
19-03-2005, 07:07 AM
I'm assuming the 1.6 has a mobile processor and is probably half the size/weight of the other. The 3ghz+ model will probably perform better, but if you intend to travel a lot with the laptop, the smaller one will save you a lot of hassle with the size difference.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P4 3.2 w/ 512MB and I find that it doesn't perform tasks that much faster than my old Satellite 996mhz 128MB notebook, so you may not even notice much difference speed wise.

Why don't you go to a shop with these on display and have a play around with them? You should get a pretty good feel for which one suits fairly quickly (I made my decision between 8 in about 15 minutes!).

Jen
19-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Welcome to PressF1 :)

Can you give us links to the specifications of those laptops? Because you are planning on doing graphic/video work, you also need to look at the graphic capabilities of the machines rather than pure CPU grunt. Pentium M and Pentium 4-M are different, and I believe if you are wanting to run the laptop off battery more then the Pentium M would be better.

cbhuta
19-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey jen!

i'll give you the model nos coz i can't find the links anymore...

Laptop No 1: is the Dell Latitude D505, with centrino , has a pentium M 1.6
Laptop No. 2: is the Dell Inspiron 5160, with a mobile P 4, 3.06

The P4-M weighs a stone and is much thicker. I'm assuming battery life to be lesser with the P4-M. I woudn't be doing much graphic/video work. All i'll be doing is using it for office utlilities, listening to music...just basic stuff.

though the inspiron is priced higher than the latitude, i'm getting both at the same price. which one would be a better buy?