PDA

View Full Version : BackWeb files

katharinem
16-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Been reading about backweb files so did a search and found these. Are they just a log compiled by Spybot? or something devious? or a stored winzip file? I use Spybot and Adaware regularly and have Kerio firewall and AVG antivirus.
Can I get rid of them?
...BackWebLite (numerous numbered files) C.Prog Files\Spybot.Search&Destroy 1.1 Recovery WinZip File - all modified? on the same date.
...Backweb Client/ 6.1.0.153 program/EN
Thanks.

zqwerty
16-03-2005, 11:02 PM
What exactly did you search for? I searched "backweblite" and found nothing on my computer.

Jen
17-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Backweb is a program that is used by many companies to monitor for and install updates with for their products software. HP, Compaq computers and Longitech are some examples. While Spybot will detect these, I don't think they remove them automatically because they can be legitimate programs. They can be used as spyware which is why Spybot and similar programs look for them.

You can remove them if you like, but then you will lose the HP's etc monitoring of software updates. You can always visit the manufacturer's website to check manually for any software updates/patches.

You might find an entry for Backweb or Backweblite under add/remove or in msconfig startup list?