PDA

View Full Version : Getting ADSL modem to "dial-up"

Midavalo
15-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Apparently you can have an ADSL modem that can "dial-up" rather than always be connected. Does this require a special kind of ADSL modem, or can all ADSL modems do it?

Basically I want to connect to my work's VPN type network (done through Telecom Office Network or something like that), but it requires the ADSL to dial in. There is probably a way for the "always-on" type to be able to connect in, but our IS guys weren't able to get hold of the right people at Telecom to find out how, so we were wondering if it is possible to get my modem (a d-link 302g, like the ones Xtra was giving away, although it isn't one of the giveaway ones).

Any takers? Or does anybody know how to get the always-on modem to connect in (without the dial-up)?

Thanks,
Midavalo.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2005, 05:38 PM
I installed one in a mates a few mths ago . A PCI adsl modem, from DSE.

And yup. Everytime u rebooted you had to redial..I dont know about other ADSL modems, coz I havent got one myself. It came with an install CD.

pctek
15-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Not on ethernet.
But I think you mean that setting where you can choose to have it disconnect - not sure if the Dlink has it but some do.
I
What? The IS guys don't know? Hmmmmmm

Midavalo
15-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Not on ethernet.
But I think you mean that setting where you can choose to have it disconnect - not sure if the Dlink has it but some do.No, I mean the setting where it dials a phone number, rather than actually connecting to the internet (or something like that).

What? The IS guys don't know? HmmmmmmNever had to do it before :) Most people connect into the VPN via CDMA, and a few through dial-up modem. And then one or two have dial-up adsl modem connections which they connect through. However the IS guys don't know if all adsl modems can do that, or if you need a specific type.

M.

godfather
15-03-2005, 06:00 PM
While I would not categorically state the combination ADSL and dial-up modems do not exist, I have never seen one and Google does not show such a device on a cursory search.

It is at best a very uncommon feature, at worst it does not exist

Graham L
15-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't think that ADSL could "dial in" to the VPN. ADSL works with a hard connection through all the exchange gubbinses to an ISP.

Surely when using a VPN you just make a standard TCP/IP connection (through an ISP(s)) to the VPN server at the other end.

Maybe it's just sloppy terminology, using "dial up" to mean "make a connection". ;)

Midavalo
15-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Hmmm... I think you might be right, GL, it's probably meant to be "make a connection"... But there are I believe options to either be always on (which jetstream etc. seems to be in NZ), or connections made when needed, which is I think what we're requiring? I know XP gives the option when you set up a new internet connection using broadband as the connection type to either have always on, or have a username and password used to connect similar to the dial-up modem type of connection (and I guess here no "dialling up" :)).

So I'm guessing now that what I want to know is how to get my modem/connection to work like the "make a connection" method, rather than the always on? Is that a modem setting, or a Windows setting, or is it modem specific?

M.

Midavalo
15-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Surely when using a VPN you just make a standard TCP/IP connection (through an ISP(s)) to the VPN server at the other end. The difference with this "VPN" is that its not exactly a typical VPN. A connection is made to Telecom (I guess to the exchange), and Telecom decides who I want to connect to based on my VPN username etc. and connects me to that network - the connection is not made direct to the final destination.

What I first thought the IS guy was trying to tell me was similar to how you connect to Jetstreamgames by changing my username password in the modem/router settings, which allows me to connect to JSG, but to nothing else. I think perhaps the VPN setup gets me to connect to a certain place based on my username setting, and then connects through to my work's network. Maybe we need to go back down that road to get this connection working.

M.

Graham L
16-03-2005, 02:31 PM
So this is Telecom acting "like an ISP" which provides access to VPN clients? If this is a Telecom service, they ought to have people who can give simple instructions on how to use it. ;)

Does ADSL have a concept of dialling at all?

I picture it as:

your ADSL "interface" is permanently connected (in "leased-line mode") to hardware in the exchange, and that exchange equipment providing a channel to whatever ISP you have nominated as your supplier. That chain of connection exists, even if you aren't actively using it. It is possible to "disconnect", but that is not physical ... it's just ending of a session.

Am I right?

PaulD
16-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Telecom sets up a realm for each remote office customer. If you were to connect from your home ADSL connection you would have to log off from your usual isp and log on to that realm. Maybe an internal modem makes it easier to do that as ID and password are stored in windows like normal dialup rather than in the modem.

Midavalo
16-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Telecom sets up a realm for each remote office customer. If you were to connect from your home ADSL connection you would have to log off from your usual isp and log on to that realm. Maybe an internal modem makes it easier to do that as ID and password are stored in windows like normal dialup rather than in the modem.That's how I think it must work (now that I've had a think about it, based on the comments made here). The problem is, what other modem settings do I need to change to get it to connect (since the username/password setting alone didn't work)?

M.