PDA

View Full Version : print server

clanmac
14-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I have an old Axis print server and I m trying to get it to work with Netbeui on windows XP. I have installed netbeui as per microsofts instructions but it keeps telling me it is not installed when installing an Axis port.

Graham L
15-03-2005, 03:56 PM
I've found the Axis servers very easy to use. I've only used them with TCP/IP, though. ;)

Have you printed the setup instructions? The test button will get you that.

clanmac
15-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks Graham L
This is an old Axis NPS 550R
I can get it to print using netbeui on a Win 98 PC but cannot get Netbeui to work on a Win XP machine nor can I get it to print using a TCP/IP port. I also cannot get it to print out instructions as per your post. I can only print out the test page and parameter list. I will try anything. I can ping it also telnet and FTP to it get config but cannot print from XP

Graham L
16-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I may have the printed manual for that model (I'm pretty sure I have one of those), but I doubt if it will say anything about XP. Axis are good, but they can't read the future. ;) I'll have a look tonight.

If you can telnet to it, you obviously know its IP address .. (anyway, you have the MAC address -- that's printed on the label). But if you can ping it from XP it ought to print to it. And a TCP/IP print server should be straightforward. It works from Linux. :)

I forget what was involved in getting the setup instructions (maybe hold the test button in while powering the server up?).

Graham L
16-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Give Google "axis nps 550 test" ... the first link is notes on making it work with win2000; have a look at some of the others, too. ;)
and "axis nps 550r XP" ... Axis say the 550 RISC works with Windows XP, so all is not lost.

clanmac
16-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I have downloaded a manual from axis and tried all ways to get it to print using TCP/IP. I can print from a 98 pc using netbeui to 2 printers I have connected to it. I have been unable to get anything on the 2 Google searches you mention. Thanks for your help.

Graham L
17-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I think that what you've got is an XP problem. ;) The Axis end works.

Have you given it an IP address in your LAN's range? I suspect that XP might not want to print "outside". It has got "some" security.

I don't know what's involved in the NetBui set up ...maybe the workgroup and user names are case sensitive at one end.

Nothing from those Google strings? No help or no links? I couldn't look at the links I got (Google cache is now not accessible on these locked up library computers), but I thought a description of installing on W2k might give some hints.

clanmac
21-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks again for yor help Graham L.

The IP address is set up within the sub net of my network. I can get into the printserver and see the jobs have got to the server but XP comes back with an error and the server indicates it has printed. Other Pcs running Netbeui print perfectly. It is just TCP/IP thats not printing and XP. I have got to the stage of hitting it with a hammer and see hoe that works.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
21-03-2005, 10:28 PM
You should be able to get it to print on Win XP using TCP/IP.

Set up a TCP/IP port. Go into Configure Port and change it from RAW to LPR.
Make sure you input the port name correctly.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything out. I have got old print servers (HP JetDirect and D-Links) working on XP this way.

Jeff.